Please sign in to post.

Train Pass Question

I have a rail pass question regarding an upcoming trip to the Alps in June. This is a 2-week trip (one adult, one junior) with 6 train travel days as follows:

Zurich to Mulhouse (France) - Mulhouse to Lauterbrunnen - Lauterbrunnen to Zermatt - Zermatt to Chur (via Glaicer Express with 1st class seat reservation extra on top of any rail pass) - Chur to Saltzburg - Munich to Zurich.

I priced this two different ways and got a material cost difference. The Eurail pass is $793 compared to $1,180 for the Swiss Pass. This has me wondering if I missed something.

Is there any reason not to buy the Eurail? Seems more convenient in addition to lower cost. I realize Eurail may not give as much discount to gondolas in Lauterbrunnen and Zermatt, but I think it still comes out ahead over the Swiss Pass.

Posted by
20135 posts

You can buy separate mountain passes in Lauterbrunnen and Zermatt. I count 7 legs, but looks like maybe this is Chur to Munich with an afternoon stopover in Salzburg.

You might want to pick up seat reservations for Buchs to Salzburg and Munich to Zurich, but they are cheap, like 4 or 5 EUR each.

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks for the reply! I counted 6 because we are meeting a friend that is driving us from Salzburg to Munich.