Please sign in to post.

Train from Milan to Lauterbrunnen

Hello - I heard that the Italian rail schedules change as of June 11, so I looked today and saw that travel times from Milan to Lauterbrunnen are now over 5 hours for travel in July. It used to be ~3 hours prior to June 11. Will there be "faster" train routes posted in the coming days?

Posted by
2330 posts

This has been touched upon a few times already...

This summer the Italian Railways are rebuilding part of the Simplon railway. As a result the line is closed between Arona and Stresa, and there are thus no through trains from Milano to Switzerland over the Simplon.

So the options are either:
- Take the replacement bus from Milan to Domodossola, where you connect with a Swiss train.
- Take the detour via the Gotthard line.

The SBB planner will show you both options.

They both result in longer trip times. We will just have to put up with that this summer. (And next summer as well, by the looks of it...)

Posted by
6 posts

I see that the train service from Milan to Domodossola is down when we want to travel - which is why the travel times have increased.

Posted by
6 posts

@WengenK - Thanks for the reply! I just saw it after I posted that I read about it elsewhere. Very much appreciate you sharing options.

Posted by
6 posts

One follow up question - is there a private driver service anyone recommends to go from Milan to Domodossola?

Posted by
2330 posts

Are you leaving from Milan city or are you looking for transport from the airport?

From the airport there is a regular bus service to Domodossola, and from Milan they are now running a replacement coach service. I doubt a private driver will be much faster. It will be a lot more expensive though.

Posted by
6 posts

We will be leaving from the train station. I agree, the bus will be best - and most cost effective - option. Thanks again for your insights!