Please sign in to post.

Switzerland Trip Planning

Thoughts on traveling to Switzerland in the month of June? Not focused on the winter-sports activities - - interest is in hiking, sightseeing, etc. If not June, what month(s) would be better? Prefer to miss the crowds and possibly find better lodging options.

Posted by
768 posts

Some of the higher trails will be closed with snow in early June. I've even been there in early July to find a few trails closed. My advice is Sept., when the crowds are much less.

Posted by
11300 posts

Shoe is right: fall is fabulous. Do you have an itinerary in mind, i.e., exactly where in Switzerland? The Lauterbrunnen Valley/Jungfrau Region is full of great hikes and scenery. There will still be lots of tourists in the train stations and in the cities in the fall, but we find once we are out on the trails, it is not at all crowded.

Posted by
1658 posts

Been there in mid June twice. Great weather and prices haven't escalated yet. Enjoy.

Posted by
7209 posts

Been to Berner Oberland late May thru early June more times than I can count. It can be beautifully sunny warm, it can rain for several straight days, it Murren has a foot of new snow one time, I,be hiked on the mountain peaks above Murren in stunningly beautiful sunny weather with wildflowers...the answer is: nobody knows the weather that far in advance.

Posted by
12040 posts

Mürren generally only feels really crowded during the ski season, where even getting a table to eat some weekends can be difficult.

As others have noted, June is a bit of crap-shoot weather-wise. Depending on the weather the previous few months, even early July can be iffy, but later in the month through early October are usually the most reliable times for hiking.