Please sign in to post.

Switzerland to France

Good Morning,
Going to Switzerland mid Sept. 2024. Flying into Geneva. 2 nights in Geneva and two nights in Montreux. Want to go next to the Champagne region in France. Do you suggest taking the train from Geneva to Paris and then a train to Reims? Or fly to Paris and then take the train to the champagne region? How many days and what cities to stay in the champagne region would you recommend?

Thank you so much for the suggestions,
Joan

Posted by
7216 posts

I would take the train from Lausanne to Paris and then a train to Reims, which is the most convenient base for 3 nights or so. I also like Troyes, but only if you have more time (it is less convenient).
Do you have any specific reason for staying 2 nights in Geneva, by the way? For pure vacation purposes, I would just stay 4 nights near Montreux and do day trips in the area.

Posted by
6848 posts

Take the train, flying would be a waste of time and money.

But, don't assume that you should take the train from Geneva to Paris. If you're travelling from Montreux to Reims, you should look for a ticket from Montreux to Reims, not a ticket from Geneva to Paris. The fastest route might be via Geneva and Paris, but it might also be via Basel and Strasbourg.

Posted by
41 posts

Balso,
Thanks for your replay. The travel agent/friend recommended to stay in Geneva. I like your idea better. I don't need to visit a big city.
Thank you again,
Joan

Posted by
1 posts

Did you decide on a plan yet?
I'm traveling in July 2024 (South of France for a wedding) and open to a 2 wk trip in Europe. Trying to find best place to fly in/out of while being in somewhat close proximity to the wedding.
Thanks!

Posted by
5312 posts

Lisa23, please start your own thread so that more people will see it. In your post include your US departure airport and your France destination.

Posted by
41 posts

Update: Flying out of Florida to Geneva Sept. 12. Staying in Lausanne for two nights, and Montreux 2 nights. Meeting friends in Paris on Sept.18th. Then we go to the Champagne district for 2 -3 nights, 7 Normandy for 2 nights. Back to Paris on the 23 and 24th of Sept. to fly back to USA.