Please sign in to post.

Switzerland Sept 2016

We are in the planning stages of a 2 week trip with another couple that hasn't been to Switzerland. We have been many times, but not since 1999. Lots more expensive now of course!! Plan about 4 days in Lauterbrunnen/Murren area, 3-4 days along Lake Geneva, 2-3 days Lucern area. Debating about Lugano area, Eastern area?? Want to take a couple of the "Scenic Rail Journeys". The big debate is rental car or train. So many places are dependent on weather, but Sept. looks like a nice time of year. Any thoughts? We are RS followers of course. Thanks for any ideas on places, hotels etc.

Posted by
8765 posts

I would vote train. A car is going to be a nuisance in the Lauterbrunnen/Murren Area. If you are going to be taking scenic rail journeys, you might want to use trains and get a swiss rail pass.

Posted by
17169 posts

A car may be cost-effective for four but I find travel with another couple in one car very stressful. The hard part is the decision-making---where to stop, when to stop, which route to take. With your own family you know who is charge; with another couple you do not.

So, especially since you want to visit the Mürren area ( where a car is a liability if you stay in the village), and you want to take at least one scenic train ride, I recommend using trains. The Swiss train system is amazing.

For a September visit I suggest you include the Engadine area in eastern Switzerland (Graubunden). It is known for good autumn weather. And you could include the most scenic of the scenic railway journeys, the Bernina Express, as well as lift rides to some amazing scenery around Pontresina. Spend two nights in Pontresina at one of the hotels that includes a free transport ticket (good for train and cablecars) with a 2-night stay.

Then ride the Bernina Express, either as an out and back from Pontresina, or take it one1way to Lugano (which involves a bus from Tirano to Lugano). It is an easy trip back to Luzern or Zurich from Lugano.

Posted by
17169 posts

Hotels: in Mürren we save money by staying at Chalet Fontana, usually in the apartment, but this may not work for two couples. (Thereis only one bathroom, and no living area, just two bedrooms and a large kitchen/dining area.)

Our favorite hotel in the area is the Hotel Bären in Wengen. It is very small, welcoming family-run place with an excellent restaurant.

http://www.baeren-wengen.ch/en/

This year they have a summer special including 3 nights' lodging with half board (including one night of a 5-course tasting menu) and a 3-day VIP Jungfrau pass to cover transport and lifts in the area. If they offer that again next year you might consider it. In any case we do half-board there because it is a fantastic deal---their dinners are gourmet quality, healthy and imaginative, made from fresh and local ingredients wherever possible. One night we had a lime-ginger risotto with our meat dish that I am still working on duplicating. And the breakfasts are the best we have enjoyed in Switzerland---truly fresh croissants and some homemade butter that is heavenly.

Make sure you get rooms with balconies. And don't expect a full-service hotel with concierge, bellman service, etc. because it is not that kind of place. The reception is not even staffed most of the day. The rooms are simply furnished but bright and airy, and of course very clean.

I just hope they still have room when we are ready to go back, maybe in 2017.

Posted by
32303 posts

Judy,

September is usually a really nice time of year in Switzerland. I agree with the others that travel by train will likely be the best method. Swiss trains are fast and punctual and often a more efficient use of travel time.

In order to plan hotels, sightseeing, etc., I'd suggest getting a copy of the RS Switzerland guidebook, either in hard copy or E-book format. There's a LOT of good information there that will help you to plan the trip well. If you want the latest version, the next update will be March 2016.

Posted by
4719 posts

It's true I'm a train person, but it happens to be the best way to get around most countries in Europe esp. Switzerland. No driving, no tolls, no gas, no parking, you sit there and sightsee and/or eat and/or sleep. Can't be beat.

Unless you want/need to go way, way off the beaten path.

Posted by
175 posts

Thanks to all of you who replied to my message. Train seems to bee the way to go. We have done trains in Eastern Europe, Italy lately with good success. Lola, we also stayed at that hotel in Wengen and loved it. Now I must get some updated travel guides on Switzerland!! Ideas or first-hand knowledge of the "Scenic Rail Journeys"? Where is the best place to stay on Lake Geneva for 3-4 days? Has anyone been to the little town of Morcote near Lugano? Other suggestions for the Lugano area would be appreciated as we've just driven through on way to Italy? I'm really getting excited!! Thanks again.

Posted by
2755 posts

Judy, I would suggest staying in Vevey on Lake Geneva. It's a charming little town between Lausanne and Montreux -- very easy and convenient to connect to either by train. And I agree with the others -- trains are the way to go. They are amazingly efficient in Switzerland. Hope you have a great trip!

Posted by
175 posts

Thanks Carroll, Vevey looks like a nice town with lots of possibilities to do things. Do you have a recommendation of a place to stay there? Anyone else? I must get the current RS book for Switzerland.....I see the 2016 comes out in March.....maybe too late for planning.

Posted by
2755 posts

Judy, I stayed at Guest House Charlotte which I liked - excellent location. We had the apartment on the top floor. If I were to go back, I would get one of the regular rooms which I think are a better value. They are pretty spacious.