Please sign in to post.

Switzerland Potential Itinerary March 2024

Hi all,
I am traveling to Switzerland from March 9th-17th in and out of Zurich. I wanted to share a potential itinerary and I have a few questions as well-

March 9th (Saturday)- Fly into ZRH at 11:25 am, take a train to Liechtenstein, eat lunch, explore Vaduz. Take the train to St. Moritz/Pontresina and spend the night at either place.

March 10th (Sunday)- Bobsled in St. Moritz (8:30)?, watch the Engadin cross country ski race go thru St. Moritz, Piz Nair?, walk around the town, overnight in same place as night before

March 11th (Monday)- Take Glacier Express to Andermatt, explore town, overnight in Andermatt

March 12th (Tuesday)- Ski Andermatt, late train to Zermatt, overnight in Zermatt

March 13th (Wednesday)- Ski Zermatt, overnight in Zermatt

March 14th (Thursday)- Matterhorn Glacier Gondola over to Italy for lunch and back, good meal in Zermatt, overnight in Zermatt

March 15th (Friday)- Train to Interlaken, take a boat ride, overnight somewhere in BO

March 16th (Saturday)- Either Schiltorn or Jungfruhjoch or something “daring”, overnight in BO

March 17th (Sunday)- Train to ZRH

My few questions are

1-Which is better for skiing, Andermatt or Zermatt?

2-Does this itinerary seem like too much? Anything I should cut?

3-Which scenic gondolas or trains should I skip out on in this itinerary? Is the Gongerbat Train better then the gondola in Zermatt?

4-Any potential hikes I could do in these places in March? I really wanted to do the 5 lakes hike in Zermatt but seems like it is a no go in the winter.

5-Is it worth spending time in BO/Interlaken area in March?

This is my first trip to Switzerland and my first time using this forum, sorry if this seems like a lot of info, thanks so much for reading!

Posted by
6918 posts

Hi!
Exploring Vaduz takes 30 minutes and is really not worth it. Consider heading straight to Pontresina.

And you can have lunch in Italy while skiing in Zermatt, too. I'd consider skiing on both days, as skis are the best way to get around and enjoy the scenery at that time of the year. Only winter hiking will be available (on prepared, but still snow-covered paths).

Andermatt is famous for off-piste skiing (freeride), with a guide. If that's not your thing, skip it, and spend more time in Zermatt or add a skiing day in St Moritz: Corvatsch and Piz Nair are excellent skiing areas!

The BO is worthwhile in the winter, yes, but skip the lake cruise maybe. Focus on the mountains.

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks so much for the input! I really appreciated the tips on Zermatt skiing and Andermatt. We've decided to go to Interlaken first then over to Zermatt/Andermatt and finally taking the Glacier Express. The answers really helped, thanks again!