Please sign in to post.

Switzerland> Lake Como

We are planning a very last minute trip to Switzerland arriving in Zurich >> leaving from Milan in July (yes, I know...). I'm with husband and 2 boys in their 20s- like to do nature/mild -moderate hikes, like culture, animals, unusual activities. Family wants to spend a day in Zurich even though I've seen posts saying just go to Lucerne- so booked a Lindt chocolate making activity. Then we want to end in Lake Como region and have a night in Milan. I'm stuck on the middle part. This is what I have so far:
Day 1: July 12, 2024 - Arrival in Zurich
Arrival in Zurich: Settle into your hotel.
Explore Zurich: Visit the Old Town (Altstadt), walk along Bahnhofstrasse, and enjoy Lake Zurich.
Hotel: Stay in Zurich.

Day 2: July 13, 2024 - Zurich to Lucerne
Morning: Take a train to Lucerne (about 1 hour).
Explore Lucerne: Visit Chapel Bridge, Lion Monument, and the Old Town.
Afternoon: Boat trip on Lake Lucerne.
Hotel: Stay in Lucerne.

Day 3: July 14, 2024 - Lucerne (Mt. Pilatus or Stanserhorn)
Mt. Pilatus: Take the world's steepest cogwheel railway from Alpnachstad, hike, and enjoy the views. -
Evening: Return to Lucerne and relax.
Hotel: Stay in Lucerne.

Day 4: July 15, 2024 - Lucerne to Interlaken
Morning: Travel to Interlaken (about 2 hours by train).
Explore Interlaken: Walk around the town, visit Harder Kulm for panoramic views.
Hotel: Stay in Interlaken.

Day 5: July 16, 2024 - Jungfrau Region and St. Beatus Caves
Morning: Take the train to Jungfraujoch, the "Top of Europe". Enjoy the ice palace, glacier walks, and views.
Afternoon: Return to Interlaken and visit the St. Beatus Caves. Enjoy a guided tour and explore the cave system.
Hotel: Stay in Interlaken.

Day 6: July 17, 2024 - Interlaken to Lake Como
Morning: Travel from Interlaken to Lake Como (about 4-5 hours by train, with a scenic route through the Alps).
Afternoon: Arrive in Lake Como, check into your hotel, and explore the town of Como.
Hotel: Stay in Lake Como (booked in Mennagio bc other hotels full).

Day 7: July 18, 2024 - Lake Como
Explore Lake Como: Take a boat trip to Bellagio or Varenna, stroll through the picturesque streets, and enjoy the lakeside scenery.
Hotel: Stay in Lake Como (booked in Mennagio bc other hotels full).

Day 8: July 19, 2024 - Lake Como to Milan
Morning: Travel from Lake Como to Milan (about 1-1.5 hours by train).
Explore Milan: Visit the Duomo, Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II, and Sforza Castle.
Hotel: Stay in Milan.

Day 9: July 20, 2024 - Milan
Morning: Enjoy a leisurely breakfast, last-minute shopping, or sightseeing.
Departure: Head to Milan Malpensa Airport for your flight departing at 3 pm.

Is that crazy? Would Zermatt be important to include?

Posted by
8120 posts

Something like the rough itinerary below would be better; you are moving around too much and jet lag is real. You lose time moving around a lot checking in and out of hotels.

Also you only want to decide on mountain trips the night before or early in the morning since they are expensive and depend on weather conditions. You don't want to commit to the mountains in advance.

Zurich July 12, 2024 (since you already committed)
Train to Interlaken
Interlaken July 13, 14, 15, 16 (you can always do Luzern on a day trip)
Train to Menaggio
Menaggio July 17, 18, 19, 20
Menaggio to the airport July 20.
You can always do Milan as a day trip from Lake Como area.

Posted by
20799 posts

Not crazy, but because of some railway closures in Italy, I would suggest an alternate itinerary.
1. After Zurich, go directly to Interlaken to for 2 nights. Direct trains at 2 past the even hours (8;02, 10:02, etc) taking 2 hours.
2. Go from Interlaken to Luzern.
3. Go from Luzern to Lugano, then take the bus to Menaggio.
4. Go to Como on a fast ferry, then to Milano Cadorna from Como Lago station. Trains every 30 minutes taking 1 hours
5. Go to Malpensa from Cadorna station.

You do not have time for Zermatt.