Please sign in to post.

Switzerland Itinerary Suggestions

Hi we are planning our first trip to Switzerland in June 2024 and would love any thoughts or advice on our itinerary. We will be coming from a wedding in Tuscany and thinking we will do the following from 6/6 to 6/15:

6/6 - train from Florence to Milan OR go on to Tirano
6/7 - Bernina Express, then train from Chur to Luzern
6/7 - 6/9 Luzern
6/9 - train to Wengen
6/13 - train to Zurich
6/15 - fly home

My questions are, should we stay in Milan overnight on the first night then catch the train to Tirano in the morning, then the 2 PM Bernina express and then go from Chur to Luzern or is that too much for one day? It seems doable but looking for input on this. We have not been to Milan before so could do a day here or possibly do it before the wedding in Tuscany. Or should we go up to Tirano on the first day and stay overnight there and then take the 8 AM Bernina express? Or stay in Chur on second night rather than taking 2 hr train to Luzern that evening?
Any other thoughts or suggestions appreciated, thank you!

Posted by
4705 posts

Or Florence to Lake Como, stay at least two nights in Lake Como, then onto Tirano and the Bernina Express.
If you use the regional trains on the Bernina Express route, which use the sane tracks and are very nice, you have more schedule options. We did this in 2021, and were very comfortable on the regional trains. The windows open, makes for better picture taking, no seat reservations required, and the regional trains are much less crowded.
Just a thought....
Enjoy this beautiful country. Safe travels!
PS
Unless you have an early flight out of Zurich, you can spend the night in Bern or back to Lucerne- it's a very easy 1+hr commute to the airport.

Posted by
2952 posts

Because you must transfer in Milan to get to Tirano spending the night in Milan is worth it. You don’t have time for Lake Como as Pat suggested.
I don’t think you can take a train from Milano Centrale to Tirano but you can transfer in Sondrio and get on a bus to complete the journey. Make sure you get an early start if trying to make a 2p connection.
And yes, skip time in Zurich.

Posted by
4 posts

Thank you Mary Pat! Yes I looked at the train schedules and the trip from Lake Como to Tirano is almost twice as longer vs going from Milan so nixed that idea. Only about 2:30-2:45 minutes direct from Milan to Tirano…you think better to stay in Milan vs Tirano overnight? And then try to make it to Luzern that evening?

Posted by
649 posts

In May of this year, we travelled from Venice to Milan (afternoon trip to the Duomo and city core) then took the train to Tirano next morning. We did stay in Tirano overnight as well - Lovely little town and then took Bernina Express at 8 am the next day. Make sure you book in advance for the Bernina Express.

Posted by
4 posts

Thank you Shelley! I think we will do the same and stay in Milan on first night, then on to Tirano in the morning as it looks like there is a direct train with no stops (about 2 hrs 40 mins). I'm now possibly thinking about taking the Glacier Express down to Brig following an overnight in Chur, and then on to Wengen from there, saving Luzern for the last two or three nights (which would give us 4-5 nights in Wengen) and then right to Zurich for flight home following suggestions provided. If anyone has any thoughts on this, I would love to hear them also!