Please sign in to post.

Switzerland Itinerary help

Hello,
I am looking for opinions/suggestions on my proposed itinerary for June.
I have not locked down on anything so am still flexible - changes are welcome.

I have two options that I am considering now for the trip, with 15 nights on the ground. I want to have a good mix of cities (art, history, culture, architecture) and the Alps.

Fly into Milan
immediately to go Lake Maggiore (Stresa) - 3 nights
then travel to Luzern - 3 nights
on to Murren - 5 nights
then to Bern - 2 nights (I know Bern is often recommended as a day trip but there are several things I want to do there that can't be packed into one day)
travel to Geneva - 2 nights (want to tour the UN , but will stay in either Vevey/Lausanne/Montreax)
fly out of Geneva

Fly into Geneva
immediately go to Bern -2 nights
then to Luzern - 3 nights
then travel to Lake Maggiore - 3 nights
then to Murren - 5 nights
then to Geneva - 2 nights

fly out of Geneva

Airfare is about the same (right now) for both options so I am just trying to understand the travel between spots and the sequence, particularly with the Italian lakes area. Is there any of the scenic rail journey trains that are a must and can fit with either of these options?

Any suggestions or recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Maurice

Posted by
16893 posts

The first plan has a little less backtracking and train time, versus going roundtrip across the border to Stresa. All these routes are considered scenic except the faster Bern-Luzern trains (through more level terrain). Traveling Luzern-Muerren-Bern takes a more scenic path, part of the Golden Pass route, or traveling Muerren-Zweisimmen-Montreux would be the second half of that line, both halves very popular.

If you're considering Swiss Pass options, it does not much matter whether Italy comes first or in the middle, since consecutive-day options are for either 8 or 15 days, nothing in between, and flexi versions work over a 30-day window.

Posted by
32198 posts

My preference would also be Option 1, as it seems more logical and straight forward. Stresa will be a very relaxing place to recover from jet lag.