Please sign in to post.

Switzerland Itinerary Help

Hi there,
We are a family of 4 (yes very expensive trip very expensive time of year haha!), travelling to Switzerland in January 2025. We will be in Switzerland/France border from January 2nd - 19/20. I have a rough itinerary below but have no idea if i have chosen good areas to stay and the correct order of itinerary and need the help of experts!

We will be flying from Edinburgh to Zurich (open to alternatives to fly into). Because of the flight times we will have one night in Zurich. From here is where I am at a loss in terms of the itinerary/how to get around!

I was thinking we train from Zurich to Chur to then catch the Glacier Express.
Glacier Express from Chur to either Brig or Zermatt (we do not ski or want to stay on the mountain so this is only if Zermatt is more logical for the rest of the itinerary)

Train from Brig to Interlaken

Few nights in Interlaken

Train? from Interlaken to Chamonix

Stay a few nights in Chamonix or somewhere else nearby (just really love small cute towns and must-see Mont Blanc and the Matterhorn). Happy to stay elsewhere (somewhere smaller or off the beaten path is great) and just do a day trip to Chamonix

Train from Chamonix (or wherever) to Geneva

Few nights in Geneva

Train from Geneva to Basel

1-2 nights in Basel

Train from Basel to Colmar

1-2 nights in Colmar

Train from Colmar to Paris then hop on the Eurostar from Paris to London

Main things we want/must do:
Glacier Express
Stay in Interlaken
See Grindelwald
See the Matterhorn
See Mont Blanc
Day trip (or stay if possible?) in Chamonix
Visit the Cern Collider in Geneva (this is shut from Jan 1-5 so have to do towards the end of the trip)
1 -2 nights in Colmar, France

Thank you in advance we are open to any and all suggestion/recommendations/changes improvements!

Posted by
584 posts

Is there a reason you’re doing Switzerland at this time of year if you don’t ski? Mountain destination lodging is going to be very expensive and picked over, especially because the week after new years is extremely popular for skiing holidays. Many things will already be booked. I guess if you just enjoy watching people ski and trapsing through snow you’ll enjoy?

Posted by
3 posts

My daughter has always wanted to see snow and visit Christmas markets. We have to go to Europe anyway to visit family for Christmas so thought we may as well. We really want a white Christmas (a week or two later haha) . Just want to see the mountains and snow

Posted by
584 posts

Gotcha! If you love cute small towns/villages, I'd recommend looking for options in Grindelwald, Wengen or Murren. Interlaken is more of a transportation hub. Lodging will be much more expensive up in the mountains, but also much more picturesque.

Posted by
20799 posts

If you want to see the Matterhorn, you will have to go to Zermatt.
What are the family ages?

Posted by
3 posts

My daughter is 12, my sister and my husband and myself are in our 40’s. Can you only see the Matterhorn from Zermatt?

Thank youuu

Posted by
20799 posts

Yes, and the early Glacier Express arrives at 17:10, and the late one at 18:10, so it will already be dark when you arrive. You should stay at least the night and hope for a clear day in the morning if want to see it.

Posted by
8814 posts

Reading closely - are you expecting Christmas markets in January?