Please sign in to post.

Switzerland Itinerary help

Heading to Europe this July for 30 days, planned to spend Switzerland for 12 days.

St. Moritz - 3 days
Luzern - 4 days
Interlaken 4 days

What is best way to travel between above locations? I will be travelling from Innsbruck, Austria to Switzerland and then continue my journey to Strasbourg.

I would like to visit Caumasee, Wondering if someone has tips to get there? from Zurich or Luzern?

Fernando

Posted by
8889 posts

Fernando, I would travel by train and bus. I assume you are using train from Innsbruck to St Moritz and from Interlaken to Strasbourg.

Luzern is a good base to visit surrounding mountains (Titlis, Rigi, Pilatus) and for boat trips on the lake.

Most people prefer not to stay in Interlaken, but one of the smaller places further into the hills: Grindelwald, Mürren, Wengen, Lauterbrunnen etc. To get an idea where all these palces are, see this "map": http://www.regiopass-berneroberland.ch/themes/bls/images/map/map_2016.jpg
Red are rail lines, balck cable cars and yellow are buses. As you can see you can get anywhere with a combination of these, but not everywhere with a car.

I had to look Caumasee up, I had never heard of it. It is near Flims, in Kanton Graubünden. So of your 3 locations, the the only one near is St Moritz. I guess it would be best to visit while you are there, but I don't know access details.

Posted by
27205 posts

You can explore your transportation options on the SBB website.

All your trips will involve train for at least part of the way. Depending on exactly where you are going, you may need to augment the train with a postbus or some sort of high-mountain transportation. The SBB website will put the entire trip together for you.

It's generally recommended not to stay in Interlaken, which is down in the valley, but rather actually up in the mountains above it. Wengen is very popular, but there are other options.

Caumasee is a lake, so you'll need to do a bit of research on exactly where you want to go--to the town of Flims or somewhere else in the area. In any case, it is best approached from Zurich. If you travel from Lucerne to Caumasee, the detault routing will be through Zurich. Since you also plan to go to St. Moritz, I think Caumasee is best positioned between St. Moritz and Zurich in your itinerary.

Your stay in Switzerland is long enough that you will likely benefit from one of the Swiss travel cards/passes, so check out the "Travelcards & ickets" link near the top of the SBB website. To make the best choice you'll need to research the full-fare ("No Reduction") cost of each trip you plan to take and be aware that the various cards/passes offer different advantages on some of the high-mountain transportation.

Posted by
360 posts

You can travel by train between Luzern and Interlaken -- I think it's about 1 hr. 20 minutes. But, I agree with the other poster to consider staying in the mountains and really immersing yourself. We stayed in Murren and loved it, as it wasn't too big or too small, just right.