Please sign in to post.

Switzerland Itinerary

Hello and thank you for reading.

Planning June 2024:

19- Fly London-Geneva early am. Train to Lausanne. Stay 1 night.
20- train to Zermatt
20-23 Zermatt 3 nights
23- Zermatt train to BO
23-29 BO x 7 nights (combo of Wengen/Murren)

The question: stay longer in BO or go to Bern? We love outdoor activities and nature.
30- BO to Bern?
30-2 in Bern x 2 nights
2- Bern to Lucerne

From BO or Bern then to Lucerne x 2 nights.

4- Lucerne train in am to ZRH

Posted by
266 posts

We visited Bern in 2019 and thought it was interesting. It could easily be done as a day trip from BO (maybe on a rainy day), so you wouldn’t have to spend time changing location.

Posted by
4719 posts

Instead of Bern, I'd spend the time in Lucerne.
Who all are going on this trip? Is this your first time is Switzerland? Glad you have so much time for the BO, you won't regret it.
Have a wonderful trip in this beautiful country!

Posted by
13 posts

Thanks for your replies.

2 adults, 2 early teens - but have traveled extensively. We typically travel every summer for 3-6 weeks.

I'm thinking an extra day in BO and an extra day in Lucerne as a good compromise.

Posted by
13 posts

What do you think of 5 nights Wengen and 3 nights in Murren? or should I split evenly?

Posted by
11 posts

IMO (after 28 trips to the BO) I would certainly not waste all the energy it takes to pack/unpack, check in/out, and relocate from Wengen to Mürren. The two are easily reached within 45 mins from each other. And be aware that there will still in 2024 be massive construction going on at both ends of Mürren, at the gondola station and the train station. Many complaints of noise (but "it's only from 8am to 5pm"), debris from construction traffic up and down the road of the small village.

Posted by
11 posts

Forgot to add, your 7 nights in Wengen will be the highlight of your trip. Again, IMO, but have based all over the country and we find Wengen to be the best balance of eye candy of the country and access to amenities (two grocery stores, multiple restaurants, a very good rental agent infrastructure. Rent a holiday apartment. Much better than hotels

Posted by
2678 posts

What do you think of 5 nights Wengen and 3 nights in Murren? or should
I split evenly?

I like this plan. For my trip next June, I have 3 nights in murren and 4 nights in wengen. It literally takes mere minutes to check in and out of a hotel. So, I don’t think it’s a big deal to change locations.

For me, I like the idea of waking up in both locations as they both have great options for my early morning walk. Also, staying in both locations will give you a chance to fully experience both.

You’ll be out and about doing things during the day so I don’t see the construction being a big issue.

I'm thinking an extra day in BO and an extra day in Lucerne as a good
compromise.

This sounds like a good plan. I was disappointed with Bern and would not want to spend a night there.

I would finalize your plans soon if you can and start booking your accommodations as the price tends to just increase with time. I have my hotels booked already for June.

Posted by
13 posts

I am now wondering if we should even stay a night in Lausanne or Montreaux.
Seems like a lot of hassle for just one night.

Perhaps just land in Genenva and head directly to Zermatt?

Posted by
2678 posts

I am now wondering if we should even stay a night in Lausanne or
Montreaux.

Possible, if you don’t mind the longer train ride after your flight. Looks like it would be about 3.75 hours on the train. But with only 1 change of trains so not bad.

I’ve done Zurich airport to Montreux after a long flight. That is a about a 3.25 hour train ride. I’ll do that again next summer.

Another option is to spend 2 nights in Lausanne or Montreux. You could use one of the extra days you were going to move from bern to BO. I really like Montreux, so I would probably do that. Really no wrong choices though.