Please sign in to post.

Switzerland itinerary

My wife and I are traveling in early June with our boys (ages 7 and 9) to Europe with Switzerland in the middle of the trip. We all like to walk a lot (8-10 miles per day is not a problem). Below is our tentative itinerary, which we adjusted based on some feedback on the General Europe forum.

Does this seem like a decent plan? We thought we might check out Stein am Rhein too, but it doesn't work too well into the plan below. Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated. I apologize if this seems like a repost from the General Europe forum, but we are unsure about how best to do our Switzerland leg.

Venice 2 nights
Varenna 3 nights
Lauterbrunnen 4 nights
Lucerne 1 night (stopover in Bern en route to Lucerne)
Salzburg 2 nights (day trip to Hallstatt)
Munich 3 nights

Posted by
32201 posts

A few thoughts......

• Is there a reason to stop off in Bern on the way to Lucerne? One night will only provide a few hours to see Lucerne so I wouldn't waste time with a stop elsewhere.
  • Is there any way to add time to your stop in Salzburg? It's going to take the better part of a day to get there from Lucerne (6.5 - 7.5 hours), so that will only allow a few short hours one evening to see Salzburg. The next day (your only full day in Salzburg) will be spent on the day trip to Hallstatt.

Your proposed Itinerary seems a bit "busy" in a few spots at present, and my suggestion would be either add more time to the overall trip, or skip one of the destinations on the list.

Posted by
11315 posts

I agree with Ken: It's just a little too fast. I think I'd drop Lucerne in favor or another night in Salzburg, Fly from Bern (easy train from Lauterbrunnen) to Salzburg to save time.

Posted by
17 posts

Thanks guys! Hi Laurel I don't see any direct flights from Bern to Salzburg so maybe flying isn't an option for us?

Posted by
11315 posts

I realized after posting that I had not been date sensitive with Skyscanner. It looks like on a weekday in June only one flight might work, departing 7:50am and arriving 13:35. It is not cheap. You could also fly out of Zurich, a little less costly, but in either case you need to allow time to get from Lauterbrunnen to the airport in Bern or Zurich.

You can fly to Munich fairly cheaply note the flight listed here at 4:40PM for $869 for 4 people. Trains from Munich to Salzburg take 2 hours and are very inexpensive, providing you can get from airport to Munich Hauptbahnhof there are 4 trains leaving between 19:55 and 21:44. I know it seems like back-tracking since you'll go back to Munich in a few days time, but the cost is far less.

I also rechecked trains. You could leave Lauterbrunnen at 8:00AM and arrive Salzburg at 16:03 with 3 changes of trains in Interlaken Ost, Bern & Zurich. Not an easy day, but about CHF155 per person, non-refundable.

Posted by
32201 posts

Even with a flight from Bern to Munich (and then train to Salzburg), that segment is still going to take the better part of a full day, when all is considered. Travel by train will be the easier option (IMO) and probably cheaper if you buy advance tickets.

I believe that you'll either need to increase the overall time or pare down your Itinerary somewhere.

Posted by
11315 posts

Ken, I tend to agree with you, but I think they are rather committed to the Salzburg and Munich stops. The latest itinerary makes the most sense of what has been proposed, but it is one looong travel day to go from Switzerland to Salzburg! After having looked at this 6-ways-to-nowhere out of curiosity, I am inclined to agree with taking the simple route of trains: cheaper, easier, and more entertaining for the kids. At least you can move around and delays are rare!

Posted by
17 posts

Thanks guys! Here is another possible itinerary we are considering...

Venice 2 nights

Varenna 3 nights (day trips to other towns on the lake)

Lauterbrunnen 3 nights

Lucerne 2 nights

Salzburg 3 nights (day trip to Hallstatt)

Munich 2 nights

Posted by
11315 posts

Your latest itinerary certainly breaks up the travel from Lauterbrunnen to Salzburg, I am just not a big fan of two-night stays and you have three of them. Why not take a night from Varenna instead of Munich?