Please sign in to post.

Switzerland Itinerary

Hi,

We are planning to visit switzerland at the end of July for about 7-10 days, i have a rough itinerary and if i know if its sounds reasonable and what can i improve :

1. Arrive to Zurich --> Train to luzern.
  2. stay 2-3 days in luzern , explore the city , cogwheel ride to mount pilatus and maybe a hike in the area.
  3. go to Andermatt and stay the night
  4. Take the glacier express from Andermatt to st.moritz.
  5. Stay in st.moritz area for 2-3 days and hike in the area
  6. go to Zurich and stay there for a day.

(My wife really wants to go to maison cailler and maison gruyere , but i dont how it is possible with this itinerary ).

Does this itinerary sounds reasonable ? is it boring? what should i change ?

Thanks,
Michael

Posted by
7209 posts

I know the scenery from the Glacier Express windows is very very nice...but you're still trapped inside a slow moving lumbering train that eats away at your precious vacation time.

The Berner Oberland is the crowning jewel of Swiss Scenery so what not just depart from Lucerne and head toward Interlaken?? Change trains at Interlaken Ost and 20 minutes later arrive into the Lauterbrunnen Valley with all of the "Glacier Express" scenery PLUS more - right at your fingertips. You won't be trapped in a train, you'll be able to take the lifts up up to the alpine villages of Murren, Gimmelwald, Wengen. You'll be able to see/do/stroll/meander/hike/explore and ENJOY!

Posted by
20103 posts

(My wife really wants to go to maison cailler and maison gruyere , but i dont how it is possible with this itinerary ).

I've always found it advisable to take the wife's interests into consideration when planning a trip. Makes for a much more pleasant vacation.

As Tim said, skip the Glacier Express and St Moritz. The train ride from Luzern to Interlaken is quite dramatic over the Brunig Pass. Then after Lauterbrunnen, take the equally famous Golden Pass route from Interlaken to Spiez to Zweisimmen to Montreux. You can stop off at Montbovon and take a detour to Gruyeres. This should get your scenic train fix taken care of. Return to Zurich via Lausanne is less than 3 hours.