Please sign in to post.

Switzerland Itinerary

Hello - I'm traveling solo to Switzerland from September 8 to 17, 2016, and I'd like to get some feedback on my itinerary. I'm in great shape, love the outdoors, and love to do a lot while traveling.

Thursday, September 8 – Train from Salzburg to Luzerne, Switzerland ( arrive 2:30 PM). Leave my luggage at the pay locker. Once there, take Rick’s Reuss River Stroll and get something to eat. At the end of the walk, see the Lion Monument. Back to hotel.

Friday, September 9 – Day trip to Mt. Pilatus. Hikes either to Tomlishorn or Matthorn. If its foggy or the weather is bad, rent a bike and explore the town and lake some more.

Saturday, September 10 – Train/cable car to Murren (arrive by 10 AM). I'll be in the area until September 13. Recommended sites/hikes: Murren to Gimmelwald, to Lauterbrunn, Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg, Birg to Gimmelwald via Bryndli, Schynige Platte to First, North Face Trail from Allmendhubel, Lauterbrunnen Valley walks (if having bad weather). See the Schilthornbahn, Jungfrau Mountain.

Tuesday, September 13 – About 2 PM, train leaves for Interlaken. Arrive in Lugano about 9 PM.

Wednesday, September 14 –
• Morning - Rick’s Lugano walk (might do this by bike)
• Afternoon - Hike to San Salvatore (30 swiss francs) or a boat trip
• Late afternoon or early evening: Bus/ferry to Varenna

Thursday, September 15 –

• Go to Bellagio (20 minute boat ride from Varenna), explore Lake Como area

Friday, September 16 –
• Morning: Explore Varenna and Vezio castle (45 minute walk round trip)
• Train at noon to Milan (1 hour).
• Visit the Last Supper painting (last reservation is 6:30 PM) and Duomo (open until 6)

Saturday, September 17 - Fly back to USA

Posted by
271 posts

That is a mighty full itinerary. I wish you the best.

Have you checked out the SAC-CAS huts (huetten)?

http://www.sac-cas.ch/en/huts.html

Look at their hut map and zoom into the areas that you are looking at going to. There are 152 huts throughout the country with the majority in the mountains. They are everywhere from Appenzell to Zermatt. They range from basic, unmanned huts barely bigger than the 6 beds and tiny 'kitchenette' inside, to tall, multi-story futuristic constructs with 150 beds and full coffee & alcohol bars alongside (pretty) tasty alpine food.

There are some at the end of cablecars making them very accessible. There are some 2 days (and a stop at another hut on the way) hike over a glacier or halfway up a mountain. They run the gammut, check them out.

As for views... I know people will send you this way (Muerren) or that way (Luzern/Engelberg) or even that way (Wengen) or the other way (yes, Zermatt) to see the mountains. And these are EXCELLENT places to see the mountains indeed!

...but, try a hut. Maybe an easy-to-get-to hut (Brunnihuette/Brunnihüt) or one that takes an hour or two to hike to (same lift as Brunni but take a right and hike, Rugghubelhütte). Both of these are out of Engelberg. In a different area, but stunning, is Capanna Corno Gries.

I highly recommend them. They are a side of Switzerland that is VERY Swiss and experienced by few Americans. I have run into 3 Americans in the last 10+ years in the huts. You are more likely to run into Dutch or Norwegians. Don't know why...and the Dutch always LEAD with English, just like us ;)

Have a great trip!

Posted by
11315 posts

The only thing that causes me to comment is your plan at Varenna. We found Bellagio to be overrun with people to the point of being repulsive, and full of high end shops that did not interest us. Consider a ferry ride on the lake and consider Villa Balbianello for a stroll. Lovely! You can also hike the Viandante to Bellano and train back.

Posted by
11294 posts

I thought I was the only person who did not like Bellagio - glad to see I'm not alone. I much preferred Varenna.

Posted by
11315 posts

@Harold - We gravitate to beautiful natural scenery and outdoors activities. I don't like to spend my days shopping in crowds in over-priced designer stores. I can find that in Rome. It reminds me of Via dei Condotti.