Please sign in to post.

Switzerland/Italy (2 weeks vacations)

I need a little advice for our Swiss/Italian venture.
My husband and I are planning on spending 15 days in Switzerland and Italy. Flying for friends wedding in Zurich in early July. We have previously visited Switzerland for a long weekend: Montreux, Zermatt, Vevey and Kippel (a small village high in the Alps by the glacier). And this time we are happy that we will be able to spend more time in this wonderful country.
Our big passions are mountains, beautiful scenery, and medieval towns. This is our itinerary and I really appreciate any input and info. We are in our early 40's; trying to see a touristy parts, as well as discover a local gems.

Fly from Boston to Zurich overnight on the 29th of June, arrive the next day on the 30th (Friday) than relax and visit the city. Next half day on Saturday continue visiting Zurich than attend the wedding in the afternoon. Sunday morning take the train and visit half day Bern, than continue with train and visit half day Lucerne. Leave Zurich on Monday morning and take train to Bernese Oberland. Stay two nights in Murren or Lauterbrunnen or Grimmewald (need your opinion which town would be best). We love hiking not too long, mountain biking, and waterfalls. Coming from the Green Mountains of Vermont we love everything local. On Wednesday leave earlier and catch a train to Chur stay one night and next morning on Thursday take Bernina Express Train in the morning do Tirano, then different train to Varenna by Lake Como, spend there an afternoon and evening. Next morning Friday take a train to Milano and by the train station rent a car for a full week.

From Milano drive to Venice, possible stop by Verona for a lunch a quick visit then stay with our Italian relatives near Venice for two nights. The next day visit Venice for a full day with my Italian cousin. Leave next morning than travel to Tuscany where we are planning on staying in the countryside for 3 nights (agriturismo-B&B). One full day to visit Florence. And another full day of visiting the hill towns optional: San Gimignano, Montepulciano (I would love to do some wine tasting), Orvieto, Sienna...Appreciate any advice on the lovely hill towns and B&B options.

After 3 nights in Tuscany we will drive back North and stay one night in Cinque Terre, possible in Vernazza. I know that we have to leave our car before the town somewhere in the parking and take a train to Vernazza. So hopefully we could do some late afternoon hike, and have a nice dinner. Next day leave around noon for Milan, where we will be dropping off our car and spend late afternoon and then night. Then the next morning fly back to Boston on Saturday July 15th. So that leaves as with 8 nights in Italy and I know is rushed but we can't take more time off. We will visit some of the museums as much as our time allows (I know we need a reservations), but in general that trip is more about introduction to Italy, that is why I choose a little bit of everything (lake, cites, countryside and riviera). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by
671 posts

Regarding lodging in the Lauterbrunnen Valley -- I would stay in either Murren or Lauterbrunnen. Both are larger than Gimmelwald (but still quaint) and have more options for eating, walking etc. It is easy to walk from Murren to Gimmelwald if you want to see it, but I would not stay there. Basically you can walk through it in 5-10 minutes.

Posted by
93 posts

Bern and Lucerne in one day from Zurich seems a bit aggressive. Two nights in Berner Oberland is short and doesn't provide much weather flexibility. You might consider going to Milan via Lugano and seeing the Italian part of Switzerland.

Posted by
32219 posts

I'd have to give some thought to your overall Itinerary, but one thing that comes to mind is that as you're planning to drive, you'll need to do some research on the potentially expensive "caveats" on using rental cars in Italy. Do not drive into Florence! If you need more information on the "caveats", post another note here.

You might consider dropping the car in La Spezia and then use the trains from Vernazza to Milan. With only one night in the Cinque Terre, you won't be able to do much hiking, as you'll only have one afternoon and the evening there. I'd suggest getting lodgings in the C.T. booked SOON!