Please sign in to post.

Switzerland in October

My wife and I are going to Paris and the Switzerland in early October 2020. We'll spend about five days in Paris and then take the TGV to Switzerland. My tentative itinerary is one night in Basel, four nights in Lucerne and then a night in Zurich before our flight home.

I was planing day trips out of Lucerne including Mt. Pilatus and Titlus (I've been told the weather for Jungfraunach is hit or miss that time of year). It was also suggested that we go to Berner Oberland. Are these all reasonable day trips from Lucerne by train?

Thanks for the input.

Posted by
7209 posts

Firstly, the Jungfraujoch IS in the Berner Oberland. It’s really too far as a day trip from Lucerne and anyway you already have 2 day trips planned for Lucerne. You’re only in Lucerne for 4 nights so you need to save some time to sightsee in the town where you already are. Lucerne is beautiful so give it ample time to explore.

Posted by
11316 posts

The Jungfrau Region starts to shut down the second Sunday of October. In fact, last year, during the week prior to the 2nd Sunday, one big hotel closed down while we there and restaurants had signs up about the coming seasonal closures, which is when locals take a break between the busy summer and winter seasons. As Tim advised, stick with Luzern and plan another trip, maybe in September, to the Jungfrau Region of the Berner Oberland.

Posted by
117 posts

I was in Switzerland October 5-10 in 2018. I had wonderful weather the entire time. I stayed 2 nights in Lucerne and went to Mt Pilatus. The other nights, I took the train to Murren - which I highly recommend. You can go up the Schilthorn if it's good weather and see the Eiger, Monk and Jungfrau peaks. Murren is a lovely town. I believe it was about 2 hours via train from Lucerne. It's true weather can be hit or miss, but definitely don't skip getting a little more up in the Alps if possible. Mt Pilatus had nice views, but the views from Murren were much better!

Posted by
1443 posts

If your only reason for the night in Zurich is your flight the next day, then you're in luck. Luzern has a direct rail link to the Zurich airport. It takes 70 minutes with departures every half hour. I'd spend your last night in Luzern and then spend that Zurich night elsewhere in the itinerary.