Please sign in to post.

3 days

Hi everyone,

I'll be skiing in Zermatt for a week in March. After that I have 3 days before I fly out of Zurich. Between Interlaken, Lucerne, and Bern, how would you spend your time if you had only 3 days, given the weather in late March (I've heard Zurich isn't worth it for such a short timeframe)?

As far as what I'm looking for:

• I'm happy to walk around and have some activity but overall I'm looking for a fairly laid-back itinerary (probably no hikes/nothing super rugged). I'd be interested in some diversity of experience beyond Zermatt/ski life.
  • Train rides, gondola ride, and cliff walks all appeal, weather permitting.
  • Local foods/cultural experiences
  • I love pizzoccheri. I probably won't be in Graubünden but welcome any recommendations of places to get it in the regions between Zermatt + Zurich.

Thanks so much for any advice!

Posted by
20089 posts

Well if you really want pizzoccheri, you can take the Glacier Express to St Moritz and have it at the Veltlinerkeller. It's the best in the world according to Trip Advisor, and they are never wrong.

Otherwise, there are a few places around Luzern that have it, and that is as good a place as any to chill for a few days. It ticks all your other boxes and is just over 1 hour on a direct train to Zurich airport for the flight home.

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks Sam! That's a great suggestion. I think my new plan is: take the Glacier Express from Zermatt to St Moritz, get that pizzoccheri, and sleep in St Moritz. The next morning I'll take the regional train to Luzern (possibly taking an hour or two to walk around Chur). Then I'll spend the last day in Luzern, possibly take a trip out to a mountain if the weather looks ok. Next morning take the train to Zurich airport.

Any suggestions to enhance or adjust this plan? And, what train pass would be the best given that combination of Glacier Express, a few longer regional rail lines, and a possible day trip to Rigi or Pilatus?

Posted by
360 posts

I honestly can't imagine going to Switzerland and not going to the Berner Oberland area, for it was our favorite area by far on our trip (that also included Lausanne-area, Gruyeres, Lucerne, Bern). We also stayed up in Murren, which I found to be far more beautiful than what I could see of Interlaken. We had happy hour in our hotel's panoramic outdoor patio with a 180-degree view of the mountains. Amazing. We are not hikers, but the gondolas and trains took care of everything. Our highlight in that area was going up to Jungfraujoch.

Posted by
20089 posts

Assuming you are taking one day from Zurich airport to Zermatt, then the Glacier Express to St Moritz, then train to Luzern, then to the airport. a 4-day flex pass would be indicated.

Mount Rigi is included in the Swiss Travel Pass, Mt Pilatus is not (just a 50% discount). Luzern to Zurich airport is the cheapest ticket at 30 CHF, so buy separately if you use a day for Rigi.

The Glacier Express has a mandatory seat reservation that is not included in any pass and has to be paid separately. Fortunatly in winter, it is reduced to only 23 CHF.

Lastly, the 4 day Swiss Travel Pass is pretty expensive at 323 CHF. The alternative to buy a half fare card for 120 CHF, and buy individual tickets at half price. If you do the journey as you describe with Rigi, the 4-day Swiss Travel Pass Flex will be a little less expensive way to go.