Please sign in to post.

Switzerland in March?

Hello!
I'm trying to determine whether going to Switzerland in mid-March is a good idea. I don't mind the cold, but I want to experience everything Switzerland offers. I would love to do some easy hiking as well. Any information is greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Barb

Posted by
418 posts

If you don’t want to ski and go specifically for winter activities, then June-October give you more options, especially if you want to hike.

Posted by
873 posts

If you end up in the Jungfrau area make certain to take the boat from Interlaken to Hotel Geissbach….see the falls and have lunch in their beautiful hotel….then hike back to Interlaken to the bus station and back home, wherever that is.

Posted by
427 posts

My first visit to Switzerland spanned the March/April transition, capitalizing on a business trip to Geneva by extending it for a bit of tourism.

it was cool but not particularly cold -- not too different from what you experience in Portland. We rented a car at the Geneva airport and had a great time enjoying the scenery. Our "hiking" was more walking in villages rather than venturing off onto trails, so bear that in mind.

But it was a very pleasant visit and I'm glad we did it. I don't regret the time of year a bit.

Posted by
8145 posts

Going to Switzerland in March is hit and miss. Sometimes the winter turns to spring early, and sometimes it turns late. You can tell by the smell of the place--with melting piles of manure with houses above the barns.

Often they get a lot of rains in the Spring.