Please sign in to post.

Switzerland in March

We'd like to go to ski in Zermatt, but are other areas open for visiting/hiking?
Day 1: arrive Zurich early am and train to Lucerne
Day 2: Lucerne
Day 3/4: somewhere in Berner Oberland
Day 5: travel to Tasch/Zermatt
Day6: Zermatt
Day 7: back to Zurich, stay over
Day 8: leave for home early

Posted by
6897 posts

Yes, absolutely!
You can also ski in the Berner Oberland, by the way - March is still great for that. The terrain is lower and mellower than in Zermatt, but still very enjoyable. And a ski pass will be the cheapest way to explore the various viewpoints (Jungfrau not included)!

How early is "early", for your flight home? If it is later than 10 AM, I would suggest that you stay in Lucerne at the end of your trip, and go to the airport directly from Lucerne. That way, you "save" a night, which you could spend in Zermatt. It would be good to have 2 full days there, because if it is windy, the skiing area gets significantly reduced (you quickly lose the entire Schwarzsee / Klein Matterhorn side), and if it is very cloudy, the area is largely treeless so visibility is poor.

Posted by
485 posts

are other areas open for visiting/hiking?

You can find winter hiking trails at Switzerlandmobility

What kind of visiting are you thinking of? Castles and museums, or something else?

Posted by
3 posts

Not too many museums and castles. Wandering around, talking to people, having a drink at a pub, outdoorsy things.

Posted by
485 posts

Depending on how firm your dates are, a very fun event in Lucern is Fasnacht (carnival) on the 16th - 21st of Feb. Lots of music, people outdoors wandering around, lots of opportunity to visit with others during this shared experience. I went to it several years ago just for the day and loved it.

Zurich also has one Feb 24-26.

Posted by
3 posts

I can only go during spring break, as I'm a teacher. March 10-20, roughly

Posted by
111 posts

Bigsix, what itinerary did you decide om? My son and DIL just decided they’d like to do Switzerland on their spring break, week of March 6. I’ll be doingvthe planning. My husband and I stayed inMuerren a few years agoo, but in early June.