Please sign in to post.

Switzerland in June

We are planning a trip to Switzerland during the first 2 weeks of June, arriving on the 3rd. Does anyone know if all of the towns in the mountainous areas are open during this period? ( i.e., the lifts/cable cars, etc. ) We were planning to fly into Zurich and rail down to Lucerne, the Interlaken region to see Gimmelwald, Murren, and then Lugano or Saas Fee. Any help would be greatly appreciated. We are coming from Houston, Texas and are looking for any advice we can get! Thank you so much!:)

Posted by
1443 posts

Yes, I think most lifts and such in the Lauterbrunnen area should be open by then. You can probably get a more exact schedule of the maintenance closures in the spring. Some higher level hiking trails could still be closed in early June depending on how the winter goes.

Posted by
291 posts

We traveled June 1, last year, and from Luzern, went up Mt. Pilatus, which we loved. This Texan did not think about what mountain weather would be in June. At the top, it was 35 degrees and rainy. We were unprepared, and fortunately were able to purchase hats, scarves, gloves, and a rain poncho at the shop at the top of the mountain, but the trip up the cogwheel train was chilly, especially since the people in our train car opened all the windows. Back in Luzern, it was 60 degrees. My tip is to check the mountain weather before leaving, and pack accordingly!

Posted by
27119 posts

I have never been to Saas-Fee, but I believe it and Lugano are quite different. Lugano's a lake city that tends to be warmer than some other areas of Switzerland. It has a bit of an Italian feeling to it that I enjoy. Saas-Fee is at 5900 feet and could potentially be quite a bit colder than Lugano. I've been to Switzerland in June, though not recently, and I've had some rainy days with temps down around 50 down in the valleys. It absolutely can snow at that time of year in the mountains.

Posted by
27119 posts

I have never been to Saas-Fee, but I believe it and Lugano are quite different. Lugano's a lake city that tends to be warmer than some other areas of Switzerland. It has a bit of an Italian feeling to it that I enjoy. Saas-Fee is at 5900 feet and could potentially be quite a bit colder than Lugano. I've been to Switzerland in June, though not recently, and I've had some rainy days with temps down around 50 down in the valleys. It absolutely can snow at that time of year in the mountains.

Posted by
12040 posts

Every decade or so, winter can linger into late May or even June in the mountains, but more than likely, everything will be open, and most of the hiking trails passable. If you go really high, you may encounter some trails still blocked off with snow, but for the most part, you should be fine.