Please sign in to post.

Switzerland in February or March 2016

Hello all, First time poster here. My adult daughter and I are planning a trip to Glarus, Switzerland and surrounding area this next winter as a trip to see where my grandmother was born. Daughter would like to ski while we visit and I'd like to tour. Any advice? Weather? What to pack? Money?

Posted by
21028 posts

From the town of Glarus, the closest skiing is at Flumserberg, which can be done by train going to Unterterzen on the Walensee. There is a gondola at Unterterzen station up to the ski areas. That is a 42 minute train ride from Glarus connecting at Ziegelbruecke.
Larger area like Flims/Laax is about 1 hour 45 minutes away by train and postbus. Klosters is 1 hour 45 minutes by train. St Anton, Austria is 2 1/2 hours.
Weather? The low valleys are often snow-free most of the winter. Snow pack higher up in the mountains (thus skiing).
Money? Have plenty on hand via ATM's. Although Glarus and surroundings are not on the tourist hotlist, prices in Switzerland are generally pretty steep.

Posted by
12040 posts

The previously mentioned Flumserberg is an under-rated gem. It consists of a series of interconnected hamlets perched high on a mountainside. The Alpine peaks here don't soar nearly as high as they do in the Pennine Alps near Zermatt or the well-known Berner Oberland, but they're still impressive. The skiing is world-class, but frequented mostly by daytrippers from Zurich. It's one of those places where you can share the same dinner table with an international banker from Zurich and a local farmer with his dog.

Weather- obviously, snow-pack and usually well below freezing at higher elevations. Daily highs in the valleys usually average a little above freezing, but conditions can be quite damp. Don't rule out heavy snow anywhere.

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you for the replies! I'll be asking more questions as we get closer to our trip.