Please sign in to post.

Switzerland in early December.

What would be the best places in early December for site seeing? We would be coming from northern Italy (Como area) and would probably have about a week. I have been to Switzerland in the past but I was a college student with a friend and we stayed in Interlaken. I wouldn't mind heading to that same area again but would probably prefer to stay somewhere a little different than right in Interlaken. We obviously don't mind cold and snow but wasn't sure what to really expect that time of year. We'd be potentially interested to give the ski slopes a try if they're open (we ski here at home but are not black diamond skiers).

Posted by
78 posts

Well the great news is that you are traveling through Switzerland during Christmas market season. Interlaken has a great Christmas market but all of the other cities are decked out for the season as well. Most of them run through the month of December but dates can vary....just check the tourism websites for the individual cities you may want to visit to confirm their market dates.

Posted by
19960 posts

The ski season in the Berner Oberland does not start until the Schilthornbahn reopens to the the top station on December 7. Stay in Muerren or Wengen.

Zermatt has skiing year round on the glacier. That is pretty tame, but on a nice day, skiing beneath the Matterhorn is stunning. Everything gets groomed nightly, just stay off the black runs and you will be fine.