Please sign in to post.

Switzerland in April

My husband and I are planning to stay in Switzerland for a few days mid-April. Looking at staying in the Berner Oberland area. I'm pretty early in my research, so looking for any basic tips and recommendations on places to stay/things to do while we're there. We are quite outdoorsy, but knowing we'll be there between seasons when trails might not be open/weather conditions not great, any other suggestions for outdoor activities or ways to take in Switzerland in the off-season?

We'll be there for three nights, and have two full days on the ground, plus a half day before we head to Zurich.

Considering Gimmelwald, Murren or Lauterbrunnen for our base. Definitely open to day trips via train, but just want to maximize the time we have.

Appreciate any tips and insights!

Joy

Posted by
61 posts

I loved my stay in Murren last June. It has easy access to Gimmelwald if you're interested in looking around that little village (walkable down, then a lift back up to Murren), and the views in Murren are absolutely breathtaking, as opposed to Lauterbrunnen where you're down in the valley. I also took several day trips from Murren and found those to be quite easy from the area without adding too much extra time (I loved traveling by train, though, so an extra half hour or so each way was welcome time to see the scenery--others might feel differently).

Posted by
2124 posts

Hi Joy, Murren is where you want to stay. To say that the views are beautiful would be an understatement. You are right in the middle of the Alps and it’s breathtaking. Easy transportation (trains, cable cars, hiking) to both Gimmelwald and Lauterbrunnen. Plan to do the Schilthorn and Jungfrau if you have good weather. We’ve stayed at the Hotel Alpenruh and Hotel Jungfrau, both good choices.

Posted by
1225 posts

Hi. Check this forum or just do a google search. April may be the time the farmers are spreading liquid manure in the Berner Oberland.

I think you can find plenty of things to do in the area for 2+ days.

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks, everyone, for the insights. Sounds like we'll need to look into staying in Murren for at least part if not all of our stay.

-Joy