Please sign in to post.

Switzerland for 8 nights

Edited:

Hi and thank you to everyone who has responded.

based of what was suggested and some readings, I have come up with this:

Day 1 - From Geneva...head straight to Montreux
Day 2 - day trip Zermatt
Day 3-5 - Berner Oberland (via golden line)
Day 6-7 Luzerne, with day trip to Bern, maybe Zurich also?
Day 8 - Geneva

Flying in and out of Geneva...

What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Hi! I was hoping I could get some help and insights. Planning on doing a Switzerland trip July 28 - Aug 5 specifically, 8 nights. The way the airfares are looking, I would be looking at flying in and out of Geneva or flying in to Geneva and flying out of Zurich. We will be a family of 2 adults and 1 15 yr. old kid. Would it be a good idea to just do a base city and do day trips? And if so, which would that be? I was looking at seeing Bern, Lucern, Interlaken, Zermatt Matterhorn, Top of Europe, and maybe a scenic train route. You think this is something doable? Thanks so much in advance!

Posted by
865 posts

8 nights - one in the city of arrival since you will be jet lagged, and one in the departure city. Flying into and out of Zurich which is much more central would make most sense to me, or arrive in one and depart from another. For the six intervening nights I would probably pick the scenic train route you want and pick the stops at either end of that. But, I would also include two nights in the Bernese Oberland (for me that would be Lauterbrunen (but others may have different opinions).

Have fun!

Posted by
416 posts

I think your list is a bit ambitious for 8 days. I think with your list of desires, if you can cut Zermatt/Matterhorn you can accomplish everything else.

Fly into Geneva (or Zurich if possible as it’s slightly closer). If flying into Geneva ride the Golden Pass Express scenic train (Montreux>Interlaken) and then stay up in Wengen for 4 nights to explore the Berner Oberland (Top of Europe/Jungfraujoch, Männlichen, First, Lauterbrunnen, Murren, Schilthorn, etc). Then train from Wengen to Luzern and stay there 4 nights. From here you can do a day trip to Bern as well. Then train directly to the Zurich airport from Luzern (1 hour).

Posted by
6901 posts

Landing at Geneva, it would make sense to spend 2 nights in Montreux to break the journey to the Berner Oberland. It is a beautiful area.
So, 2 nights Montreux, 3 nights Berner Oberland, 3 nights Lucerne, or 2-4-3.

Or, if you absolutely must try to see the Matterhorn, replace Montreux with Zermatt - but travel time is much longer, you miss the lovely Golden Pass railway, and Zermatt just isn't that great if the weather does not cooperate.

Zürich airport is easily reached from Lucerne as long as your flight is not super early.

Posted by
4844 posts

Would it be a good idea to just do a base city and do day trips?

Yes. With only eight nights, you don't want to lose time relocating. As to which city, that will depend on the day trips you want to do from your base.