Please sign in to post.

Switzerland by car

I've been to Switzerland by train 11 times! Twice to Zermatt area and the rest to the Berner Oberlin, so you can tell I LOVE the mountains, especially the Jungfrau region. And I've visited several other towns. But I think by car will be a different experience. Can anyone recommend small towns that might not be on the train route that you have enjoyed and any other mountainous areas. I have been to the St. Moritz area and didn't find it as beautiful as the other two.

Posted by
1301 posts

We have used the car train between Kandersteg (Bernese Oberland) and Goppenstein (Valais) a few times. You might find that interesting. Last time we did this you could stay in your car. Gstaad was nice. We stayed in Schoenried, but you can get here by train too. We stayed in a Chalet above Giswil once. There are many available to rent in this area. Unterbäch a few times. Nothing special but we like it. You can take small back roads over into the Mattertal. I live in Germany and driving from/to home on 19 and 27 was interesting, but there are trains along this route too. Meiringen (Shelock Holmes) is nice. We drove the Grimselpass too. We stayed in Gambarogno over Langensee/Lago Maggiore and drove the Swiss areas along the lake (Covid time). Also, nearby an overnight in 6583 Vellano, Schweiz. Davos? Rambling along here it seems like a train route runs close to most of these places. I've never gotten to the Genfersee/Lake Geneva or other western Swiss lakes, but there on my list.

Posted by
1041 posts

We drove to Chur to catch the Bernina Express. We were told that Chur had little of touristic value, but we loved it there and wished we had planned to stay longer. Beautiful town, lovely mountain views and great Swiss wines! And if you listen carefully its in the area where some speak Romansch (although Swiss-German is the main language of the street).

Posted by
2351 posts

I would look for a list of Swiss mountain passes and put the most beautiful ones into a geographically coherent arrangement. To get used to the pass driving, start with something less demanding such as the San Bernadino and finish with the more challenging and beautiful ones such as the Furka, Umbrail or Nufenen. This will be an unforgettable tour.