Please sign in to post.

Switzerland & Austria

I am planning a December-January trip to Switzerland and Austria. We have 3 weeks and really don't have any specific wants other than to ski a bit in Austria and to look at some colleges while we are there. My initial thought is to fly into Zurich, spend 7 days and then travel to Austria, return flight from Austria or perhaps Germany is 2 weeks is too long for our Austria leg. Given our schedule and no real must haves what are your recommendations for places to visit?

Posted by
8159 posts

I've skied outside of Innsbruck the end of January. I hope you're a strong intermediate skier or advanced because the facilities in Europe are not as good as Colorado or California. The slopes are steep and the snow is sometimes icy. The quality of the local skiers is pretty intimidating.

I usually stick to Austria (over Switzerland) because it's easier to travel through and it's cheaper. Tirol has great accommodations in every village for skiers. We also like traveling to Salzburg and Vienna. A week in Switzerland, a week in Austria and a week working out of Munich would be a good trip. I also like flying into/out of the Munich airport.

Posted by
15 posts

David, Thank you. We are all skiers. I am the least adventurous in the family so plan to stick to the kid's slopes or watch from afar. My husband and daughter can hold their own on most terrain. She's been skiing since she could walk. My daughter had selected Tirol as our ski destination.

Posted by
8464 posts

I never used them for Europe. but ski.com looked like a good travel company for booking ski vacations at the resorts in Europe. I did use them in N America and found them reliable.