Please sign in to post.

Switzerland and Italy, September 2018

My husband and I are taking our Retirement Trip by going to Switzerland for about 4 to 6 days; and then onto Lake Como and Piedmont. We plan to fly into Zurich, but we would like suggestions. Would love to experience a Cog Rail ride. Originally, we wanted to go to St. Moritz via Bernina Express. What else is the best to see?

We plan to take a train into Lake Como for a week; then, rent a car to see Piedmont.

I am up for suggestions.
Thanks, Marilyn

Posted by
8889 posts

The Bernina line, like all rail lines in Switzerland, has one train per hour. The Bernina Express is an extra limited stop tourist train, but you see the same mountains whichever train you take.
Lake Como lends itself to the Bernina line. You can go Zürich - Chur (where the Bernina Line starts) _ St Moritz - Tirano, then a local Italian train to Varenna or other places along Lake Como. Bt sadly, no cog wheel rail by this rpute.
See Swiss rail map here: https://www.sbb.ch/content/dam/infrastruktur/trafimage/karten/karte-sts-pass-gueltigkeit.pdf

Plan B (Zig-zag across Switzerland, cog wheel included, see aforementioned map):
Zürich airport - Luzern (70 minutes). 2 nights. Lake and mountain day trips (Titlis, Rigi or Pilatus).
Then train south to Andermatt, east to Chur (50% of Glacier Express route, cog wheel included). Overnight Chur.
Then south via Bernina pass route to Tirano and Lake Como.