Please sign in to post.

Switzerland / Alps trip summer 2025 initial planning

Planning a 2+ week trip in summer 25 for a family of 4 from US - kids will be 17 & 15, possibly 2 more adults will join for part of the time. We would like to experience different areas in the Swiss/French/Austrian alps, and possibly into Italy. We like moderate day hikes, sailing, great scenery, walkable towns, and good food. From looking at plane prices for this coming summer to get ideas, it looks like Zurich may be a good place to fly in. We're not planning to just stay in Switzerland, but the forums are all country specific, and since we would be flying in and out of there ...

My initial idea -
3 nights Grindelwald (or other town in that vicinity, we would want to stop in Lucerne for a few hours after arriving at the airport that first day)
4 nights Annecy, France (stop at Lausanne or Montreux on the driving day, day trip to Chamonix, Grenoble?, Lyon?)
3 nights Lake Como, Italy
3 nights Innsbruck, Austria (or maybe Fussen, Germany)
1 night near airport before flight home.

There is a RS "My Way" Alps tour that covers some of these areas in 12 nights, starting in Salzburg, but we usually prefer to do our own planning. They have Dolomites in there rather than Lake Como, which may be interesting.

I am leaning towards renting a car, as I feel a little overwhelmed trying to figure out which trains I would need to get all of these places. Even if it stays parked some days and we take day trips using public transport, I feel like it might be the best option. Especially for being able to make stops along the way as we drive from place to place. We are used to traveling only staying a night or two in a location before moving on (we see a lot of the US National Parks this way), so having 3-4 nights in a place is on the laid back side for us. We would like to strike a balance between covering several areas, but also giving time to explore the locations we're based in.

I would love some comments or suggestions! We could probably expand the trip by 1-2 nights if it makes sense.

Posted by
1293 posts

I can agree with the car/van +6, but you need to plan the parking at your destinations. Just saying it is not like the USA. Once at your destination park the car and use the local transport available be it bus, ferry or train etc. Of course use the car for side trips too. I would make my plans accordingly. Some vans are too tall for parking garages. Many on these forum have pointed out the extra fee for not returning a rental in the same Country it was picked up in. So, maybe your last destination is to your arrival airport were you rented the car. You can be on the road by 09:00 after breakfast. Buy the vignettes to travel the autobahns to save time (I prefer the secondary roads for sight seeing). Be ready for double the fuel cost of the USA. Maybe an apartment with a washer for a clothes wash along the way keeping the luggage down? I would advocate staying as long as you can for vacation within your budget. Relax some...

Posted by
20103 posts

If you return the car to Zurich airport, there will be no international drop fee and the Swiss vignette will be included with the rental, so that just leaves Austria, where a short term vignette is pretty cheap. Innsbruck to Zurich is a straight forward drive on the motorway. 3 to 3 1/2 hours. Be sure all drivers have an International Driver's Permit. Get them from AAA.

You will need a good size car to carry 2 adults and 2 teens and luggage. With 2 more adults, a super size car.

Posted by
11322 posts

My initial thought is that you should limit your trip to two or three countries/stops with 14-16 nights. Three nights in Grindelwald (or nearby) will fly and you will long for more time there. It will be the highlight of your trip and you can do hiking, sailing, day trips, visit walkable towns, see magnificent scenery all in this location, with your car — if you rent one — parked for most of the duration. Expand time in this area to at least 5 nights, 7 is better.

If you fly into Geneva, it makes sense to start in Annecy, then go to Lake Como and end in the Jungfrau region (Grindelwald or other town). You could fly out of Zurich or Geneva. Zurich if you fancy a night in Luzern as getting to the airport from Luzern is feasible on the day of flight if you aren’t departing at the crack of dawn.

In my opinion, trains won’t be a challenge, BTW. We can help you figure that part out and avoid the hassle of a car. My husband and I travel for 8+ weeks every autumn, largely in Switzerland and Northern Italy, and we never rent a car.

Posted by
418 posts

I think you’re trying to cover a bit too much geographical ground personally, but if you really want to do 4 countries in 2 weeks I think you might want to consider an open jaw ticket, such as flying into Munich and out of Geneva or Milan or something along those lines. Otherwise you’re going to spend a day getting back to your starting point. It will make the rental car more expensive, but with a trip like this it may be worth it.

If you like to sail, you can do that on a day trip to Lake Thun from Grindelwald.

An idea to consider…
Fly into Munich (or Innsbruck if you can find good flight options), drive to Innsbruck - 4 nights (day trip options to Mittenwald, Garmisch, Seefeld, Fussen, hiking above Innsbruck, etc)
Innsbruck > Grindelwald - 6 Nights (sailing on Thunersee, hiking, viewpoints, day trip to Luzern, etc)
Grindelwald - Annecy - 4 Nights (day Trip options you already mentioned)
Fly out of Geneva

Or similar to above but add Lake Como and fly out of Milan (take some nights from Annecy & Grindelwald)

Posted by
4 posts

I think I could definitely get with the idea of just Annecy, Lake Como, and Grindelwald, 4 nights, 3 nights, 5 nights. When I look at the map and see how (relatively) close everything is, it's definitely easy for me to get itinerary creep and want to cram more in. Since we do enjoy hiking, and it sounds like there are so many options, I want to leave ample time for that. I like the idea of putting Grindelwald last. Is Lake Como the right place for my Italy location? Or is there somewhere else I haven't considered - either in Italy or not? I could also add a 4th night in whatever area I end up with. I suppose it really depends on which flights I end up getting, and it's too early to have that nailed down.

Regarding the car, I could see either way. I get a little worried about being confused & missing a train, and having the kids irritable as I'm trying to sort out what to do next. But, if we're limiting to 3 base locations, maybe it's not too much to figure out. And, if I needed a car for a day, it might be possible to just get a daily rental right in whatever town we're in - I know that seemed to be a big thing when we were in Greece, but maybe it's quite different in the Alps area. If we get the car, I would definitely plan to return the car in the same country / location as where we picked it up.