Please sign in to post.

Switzerland advice

My wife and I are flying in/out of Zurich Dec. 17. 2024 -January 4, 2025. Want to train from ZRH to Lauterbrunnen. Will be staying 4 nights in Grindelwald to meet friends, then moving for the remainder of time up to Murren. Plan is to train from Zurich to Grindelwald and then Lauterbrunnen back. What passes do we need? We obviously will need to get up to Murren. Wife checked one schedule and it was a 6 minute change 2 xs getting to Grindelwald....am not sure that will be enough time for us to change...assume there are differing options? Have not trained since my 20's... am in late 60's now... do NOT move as quickly :)
please advise.....
Thank you!!!
Ben

Posted by
32824 posts

that 6 minute connection at Interlaken Ost is made by many in as little as 2 minutes. Worst case? Gp across the car park and get a snack and there is another train which you can get on (it doesn't matter which train you get - many people build in a lunch break at the Coop intentionally - I do) and just get to Grindelwald half an hour later... The schedules are made for people to make, not to miss. Coming down the mountain from Mürren, again there is a frequent service and if you are worried you could take a previous train.

This assumes that you can actually walk and don't need a wheelchair, just that you, like my wife, don't move so fast....

Posted by
47 posts

Thanks Nigel…..I can walk but am past the running with the backpack phase!!:) Thanks for the feedback. Knowing we will be traveling to/from Zurich and using the Gondola and train to/from Murren and for that matter the Grindelwald side of of the valley…is there a pass we should look into to save us some money?? Any tips on passses for things like snowshoe, sledging, toboggan. And snow bike?? Thank you

Posted by
20178 posts

Make sure you get your lodging in Muerren nailed down early. Dec 21 to Jan 4 is super prime time for family ski vacations. You will be paying top Franc for accommodations. Staying 2 weeks will certainly put you in the drivers seat for securing these. Keep in mind that many families have already got their reservations for next year as they rebooked for the following year when they left 2 weeks ago.

Going from Grindelwald to Muerren has a couple of options.
1. Grindelwald to Zweiluetchenen to Lauterbrunnen to Muerren with the valley route.
2. Or you can go "over the top" Grindelwald to Kleine Scheidegg to Lauterbrunnen to Muerren.
Transport in the region works pretty seamlessly.

Since you are in the region for 2 1/2 weeks, you could benefit from a season pass. if you don't ski, the Unlimited Jungfrau Winter Pass looks like it would work for you. 449 CHF, or 399 CHF if you get a Half Fare Card. The HFC is probably a good idea as it will reduce the cost of getting from Zurich airport to Interlaken and return.
https://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/jungfrau-ski-region/unlimited-jungfrau-winter-pass/
https://www.sbb.ch/en/tickets-offers/tickets/guests-abroad/swiss-halffare-card.html

Posted by
20178 posts

There might be a small price increase for next year.

Posted by
1714 posts

We don't know yet which passes will be available next year. Things might change, so you will have to revisit this topic nexts summer.

What do you plan to do during those two weeks? If it is just sitting on the baclony in the sun reading I would suggest that all you are probably going to require is the half fare card. Then just buy tickets as you go for your excursions.

Currently there is no "good fit" pass for you, as you are staying in Murren. if you had based yourself in Wengen or Grindelwald I would suggest you just get the Winter Pass, but that does not contain a lot of activities in Murren. This year the summer pass surprisingly contained the Schilthorn. Maybe the winter pass will also next year. The Jungfraubahn gets a new CEO, and maybe the cold war between the Wengen and the Murren sides of the valley will finally be over.