Please sign in to post.

Switzerland

Hi. 14 nights in Switzerland mid May 2023.
Itinerary? All travel by train.
Arrive Zurich
Lucerne
Zermatt
St Moritz
Lake Como
Depart from Milan
Any suggestions on length of stay in each spot? Is this too many stops? This itinerary can be reversed. All suggestions appreciated. Thanks

Posted by
1416 posts

Not sure why the plan omits the Berner Oberland and the Bernina Express. I would pick up a Swiss guide book or two so you can determine what areas most appeal to your interests.

Posted by
8439 posts

Just noting that you can (and should IMO) take the train from the rail station at Zurich airport, directly to Luzern (about 1.25 hours) and stay there, skipping Zurich.

Posted by
31 posts

I prefer at least 2-3 nights in every location. Didn’t think I could add Berner Oberland to an already over scheduled trip. Would you omit something else?
I’ve debated whether to stay a night or two in Zurich as I’ve never been to Switzerland and probably won’t be back. Too many places to travel to in the future. Do you think it’s worth a night? Thanks

Posted by
31 posts

I plan on taking the Glacier Express from Zermatt to St Moritz and then Bernina Express to Tirano.

Posted by
32742 posts

There is a lot to see in and around Zürich. I wouldn't necessarily suggest spending a lot of time there on a first visit, but for a return visit.

Your schedule's pretty tight. If it is your only trip to Switzerland you might find the scenery in the Berner Oberland unique and very impressive. I certainly did - enough that I return most years.

Posted by
8439 posts

What time of day does your flight arrive in Zurich? If its in the AM or early PM, you would likely not be able to check into a hotel anyway. So why not just keep moving forward and head for Luzern? Zurich is an OK city, but its a big cosmopolitan business center, not the mountains that you come to see.

Posted by
16241 posts

There are direct trains from the Zurich airport to Luzern twice an hour on the current schedule. It likely will be the same next May. The journey is just over an hour, and would save you one hotel,change.

Posted by
31 posts

My initial thought was to take a train rather than spending the time in Zurich, but I’m glad to have some opinions. Didn’t want to miss anything. Thanks

Posted by
31 posts

Any other thought on where we should spend more nights?