Please sign in to post.

Switzerland

We are planning a trip at the end of September for our 30th anniversary and we are interested in Zermatt, Interlaken, Grindelwald., and any other suggestions. We have 10 days. Any help with trip planning would be appreciated.

Posted by
20086 posts

Since Grindelwald is very close to Interlaken, just stay in Grindelwald and day-trip to Interlaken. Gridelwald is in the mountains. Interlaken is close to the mountains.

Posted by
5581 posts

Grindelwald is more upscale, with resorts. The other side of the valley with Lauterbrunnen, murren and Wengen are more quaint, but for some may not have enough restaurants and night life. I agree, I would not stay in Interlaken. Grindelwald, et. al., are more IN the mountains. If you are looking for another city, Luzern is gorgeous and a bigger city than Lauterbrunnen/Grindelwald.

Posted by
265 posts

Borrow from the library or buy a copy of the Rick Steves Switzerland guidebook. It describes in detail several different areas of Switzerland that you might enjoy exploring.

Posted by
32206 posts

I agree with the previous suggestion to have a look at the RS Switzerland guidebook before getting too far in your planning. Also, is there a particular reason you chose those three locations? Depending on what you want to see and do in that area, you might also look at staying in Lauterbrunnen, Mürren or Wengen.

I also agree with the previous suggestion to have a look at Lucerne. It's one of the most beautiful cities I've seen in Europe, and one of my favourites.

Posted by
6 posts

We are planning the same thing for our 30th also! Looking forward to the responses - we were debating one of the RS tours but think we'd be better off on our own. Looking for hiking. We have a number of days in Lucerne also but would like to spend at least 3 days in Murren side . Is Zermatt worth it to head down there? Also looking at going to Lugano and maybe into Lake Como area of Italy.

Posted by
11316 posts

skybird you should start your own thread so you get answers directly and the OP does not have to wade through replies to you.

Posted by
4637 posts

After a thorough homework and dealing with restricted time we decided for Luzern, Lauterbrunnen and Zermatt. All were gorgeous.