Please sign in to post.

Switzerland

Does anyone know how to book the section of Grand Train tour from St Gallen through schaffhausen to Zürich? Is it one train line? I cannot figure it out

Posted by
2485 posts

Use the SBB app. Plug in your starting point as St. Gallen and your destination as Zurich. Then an option for “via” will appear. Plug in Schausshausen.

Posted by
1028 posts

There are no direct trains on this line. And in any case you don't need to make reservations on most trains within Switzerland. You just turn up and catch the next train. And if you are up there you are going to want to get off in at least Stein am Rhein and have a look around.

I have lived here over 30 years and if I was doing this trip the only trains I'd be concerned about getting a reservation for are:
- Goldenpass
- Glacier Express
- Interlaken/Luzern Express
- Tirano/Lugano Bus
- Gotthard Panorama Express
All the other I'd just wing it.

One important thing to know about this summer is that there will be more construction working going on on the railways than usual. There is a new law requiring the system be made more accessible for people with disabilities and so platforms are being lowered/raised etc and rolling stock is being replaced. Depending on where you are travelling this may cause delays and in some cases busses will have to be used instead of trains. You need to check nearer to you time of travel to find out if you will be impacted or not.

Posted by
16 posts

Thanks good info, will check out stein am Rhine. Also, I see you live in Bern and we are thinking of going there for a day trip while in Lucerne. Suggestions?

Posted by
33513 posts

I'm not Jim but I'll say what I like in Bern. Many people will mention the arcades and the Zytglogge.

I like going up to the Rose Garden and sitting on a bench with Albert Einstein. Views from up there are pretty good. If mobility is an issue a bus goes up there. Speaking of views from up there I like going up the Gurten. An enjoyable funicular takes you up, there are walking paths, and a ride on mini-railway with accurate signalling. Kids and people both like it. A good café with the view too.

Going down instead of up there are the bears, and their glass sideways elevator/inclined lift called, very cutely "Bärebähnli". Good views of the town and river, and river floaters from the top, up close to the bears and river at the bottom. Near the top is a famous tram depot now café, brewery and restaurant. Across the road junction and further down is a neat church, the Nydeggkirche (for which the nearby bridge is named) and near it is a really cool violin maker and shop.

For mall shopping with an extremely uniquely shaped and use of materials spa/therme an easy train ride or tram pops you up at Westside.

I enjoy taking one of the several elevators to the riverside and walking around the peninsula and then one back up.