Please sign in to post.

switzerland 2017

Hi,
Need help planning a 5 or 6 day vac trip to switzerland, - travelling from US to Frankfurt on business trip end of may 2017 or mid june.
so maybe take train from frankfurt to Basel? then im lost. Obviously will not be able to cover all the plces to see. any must see sites that i could cover? was exploring the scenic train route.
please advise its my first time travelling swiss.
Also open to any other nearby european countries for 5/6 days apart from swiss.

Posted by
8457 posts

What is it about Switzerland that attracts you? Cities or mountains, culture or history? 5-6 days is not enough time to see much of anything beyond one place, maybe two.

If I had to send someone to one destination in Switzerland, it would be Luzern, but again, depends on what interests you.

Posted by
18 posts

While Switzerland is feasible from Frankfurt, it may work better for a longer trip. With only 5-6 days, you would have much more sightseeing time if you stayed around the Rhine Valley, and perhaps the Black Forest. If you haven't already already toured this area of Germany, take a look at Cologne, Trier, Rhine River day cruises, Marksburg castle, and Rothenberg attractions before you decide on Switzerland.

Posted by
262 posts

Consider flying to/from Switzerland in 45 min rather than the train which is 4 hours. Please indicate your interests so we can make recommendations on what to see.

Posted by
5836 posts

RE ...was exploring the scenic train route.

Travel from Frankfurt to Zermatt or Luzern in place of Basel and do a scenic train route combination such as the SBB Glacier, Bernina and Gotthard Panorama Express boat-bus-train combination tour or some variant. The SBB package is advertised as a 5 day/4 night package starting in Luzern and ending in Zermatt that may fit your time constraints. You would then need a half day to get back from Luzern or Zermatt to Bern or Zurich or where ever.

We just did a portion of the Bernina Express train excursion as a single day out and back. Swiss engineering and Swiss (and Italian) scenery were both amazing.

Posted by
19 posts

Thanks Edgar will check out the glacier option, appreciate the help.
as far as interests... its absorbing the wonderful landscapes & "taking in" all the beautiful scenic pics of swiss on movies, web etc.
Do not like skiing.