Please sign in to post.

Switzerland 10 Days - July 2025

Hello all, my family (two children 7 and 10) will be traveling to Switzerland July 2025 for 10 nights. We are experienced travelers, visiting Europe several times with our children. For this trip we would fly into and out of Zurich (from NC). We would use the Swiss Train System for our transportation.

• Base 1: Basel (3 Nights): Possible Day Trips to Bern, Freiberg (Germany), and Mulhouse (France)
  • Base 2: Wengen or Lauterbrunnen (4 Nights): Visit Schlithorn, Jungfrau, Murren, Gimmelwald, and Zermatt (if not too ambitious)
  • Base 3: Lucerne (3 Nights): Explore Lucerne and visit Mt Rigi

Please provide your thoughts, feedback, suggestions, etc.

Please also let me know if you would start in Basel or Lucerne. I prefer the last base to be the closest and easiest place to train to Zurich Airport for a morning flight back to the US.

Thanks in advance.

Posted by
21028 posts

Yes, starting in Basel works. You could do Bern for a day on the way to Lauterbrunnen. Basel is 1 1/2 hours by the once/hr direct train from the airport, or more frequent departures in a bit less time with a connection at Zurich HB.

Posted by
2968 posts

The only thing I’d do is take 1 night from Basel and add it to the Berner Oberland. 4 full days. That’s all I can add. Paul

Posted by
5493 posts

Don't forget about the Cabrio open air cable cat to Mt Stanserhorn- very close to Lucerne. Covered by the STP. The kids should love an open air cable car.
Basel is also so close to Colmar and Strasburg- so charming.
Have a wonderful family trip. Safe travels!

Posted by
264 posts

Thanks so much for the replies.

If my trip ends in Lucerne, is the train to Zurich Airport short and nonstop in order to make a morning flight back to US?

Posted by
21028 posts

Train from Luzern to the airport is currently a connection at Zurich HB, but it is an easy one. Get off the train from Luzern and take the escalator on the platform down one level to the under passage, walk a few yards to the escalator marked for your airport connection (usually #33 or #34) and take that down another level and your train should right there. Luzern to Zurich airport is just over 1 hour. First departure is at 4:52 am and about every half hour from then.

Of course, this could change by next summer. There used to be direct trains from Luzern to the airport, but currently you have to connect at Zurich HB.