Please sign in to post.

Swiss Travel Pass questions...

Hi everyone,
Apologies, I realise this has probably been asked time and time again but I would appreciate everyone's thoughts.
We will be in Switzerland for 2 weeks during July. All our travelling will be done by train and we will likely be using some form of public transport every day we are there so we definitely want to purchase the 15-day Swiss Travel Pass.
We will taking in one scenic route during our stay, the Golden Pass, from Lucerne to Interlaken and then Interlaken to Montreux at a later date (changing trains at Zweisimmen I believe). We also want to ride in one of the Belle Epoque carriages from Zweisimmen to Montreux.
The question is - 1st class or 2nd class?
I've priced both and for everyone in our party, 1st class passes will be a total of £600 more expensive.
We don't mind paying this if there is a difference in comfort ie. much more in the way of space in the 1st class carriages?
So my questions are:

• are the trains likely to be very crowded when go in July? Of so, is 1st class generally less crowded?

• do they serve food on the Golden Pass route and is this included with the Swiss Travel Pass?

• I know we should book seat reservations for the Golden Pass but do we need to do this for all other train journeys? Eg. When travelling from Zurich - Lucerne and from Montreux - Geneva?

• How far in advance should we be making seat reservations?

• We plan on taking a few boat trips while we are there and I know these are covered with the Travel Pass too. Is it true that the upper decks of the boats are generally 1st class only? So, if we only have 2nd class passes we wouldn't be allowed on the top decks?

Thanks in advance guys, I'd appreciate hearing other people's experiences with 1st and 2nd class passes.

Posted by
2672 posts

You might find this post helpful:

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/switzerland/swiss-travel-pass-first-class-worth-it

Regarding the boat trips, upper deck is first class. So, yes, without a first class ticket, you will not be allowed to sit in the upper deck. You can though, always upgrade to a first class seat for a particular day.

https://www.sbb.ch/en/travelcards-and-tickets/tickets-for-switzerland/class-upgrades-supersaver-class-upgrades/class-upgrade.html

Posted by
32761 posts

are the trains likely to be very crowded when go in July? Of so, is 1st class generally less crowded?

It will be crowded at rush hour near big cities and generally much less outside of rush hour

do they serve food on the Golden Pass route and is this included with the Swiss Travel Pass?

Not that I am aware for individuals. Between Montreux and Gstaad for groups: "Due to the current health situation, our catering service on board is limited. We only offer this service for groups of 10 people or more. Please send your requests via the following form at least 10 days before the date of your trip."

I know we should book seat reservations for the Golden Pass but do we need to do this for all other train journeys? Eg. When travelling from Zurich - Lucerne and from Montreux - Geneva?

I never have done (in second class) and have never needed to. It is rare in Switzerland.

How far in advance should we be making seat reservations?

I don't do it.

We plan on taking a few boat trips while we are there and I know these are covered with the Travel Pass too. Is it true that the upper decks of the boats are generally 1st class only?

Not generally. Always. 2nd downstairs, 1st upstairs.

So, if we only have 2nd class passes we wouldn't be allowed on the top decks?

Correct.

Posted by
4706 posts

Swiss trains and boats are beautifully maintained and very clean. Second class in Switzerland is already a step above second class on other countries' trains. I have always been extremely happy in second class on Swiss boast and trains. I like riding on the lower level of Swiss boats; I sit outside and get great pix of the reflections of the sky and clouds in the wake.
The Swiss Travel Pass works so well, along with the ease of use. Perhaps there will be another sale in the future?
Safe travels!

Posted by
6900 posts

£600 is a lot of money... It's a bit like in the UK: 1st class is great when you want to be comfortable on a busy commuter route, but not worth the significant extra cost otherwise. And Swiss 2nd is much roomier than UK 2nd class thanks to the more generous loading gauge of the railways.
So, even though I travel 1st class most of the time in France (price difference is often slim), it's a "no" for me in Switzerland.