Please sign in to post.

Swiss Travel Pass Question

If I am traveling from Luzern to Venice can I use a combination of my Swiss Travel Pass and Euro Rail Italian train pass for the journey? Also, can I make train reservation with the above combination?

Thanks for your help!

Posted by
8889 posts

Yes, you use your Swiss Pass up to the border station (Domodossola, Chiasso or Tirano depending on which route you take), and an Italian pass or tickets past that point.
You do not need reservations in Switzerland. If you buy a normal Italian ticket (for a long distance train), it is only valid on the train listed on the ticket, and includes reserved seats; buying reserved seats is only a separate purchase if you are using a pass.

This map shows where a Swiss Pass is valid, including the three border stations I mentioned: https://www.sbb.ch/content/dam/sbb/de/infotexte/uebersichtskarte-sts.pdf

Italy has some of the cheapest rail tickets in western Europe, especially if you buy in advance on the Trenitalia (Italian Railways) website. Buying normal tickets in advance is in most cases a lot cheaper than using a pass.

Posted by
7209 posts

You'll need to travel Venezia S. Lucia -> Milano Centrale and then another ticket onwards to Domodossola. These tickets are super cheap at www.trenitalia.com if you buy ahead of time.