Please sign in to post.

Swiss Travel Pass or Bernese Oberland Pass

Me & friends will be travelling to Europe for the first time in late October. I planned 4 days (29/10 to 1/11) in Switzerland and wanted to visit Grindelward, Lauterbrunnen, Interlaken, Giessbach, Bern and Zermatt. Can I get some advise on which pass should I get please. I’ve read some where that Bernese Oberland pass is a summer pass. Is there other better option if BOP is not available during my travel dates.

Posted by
1664 posts

You can also just pay as you go for tickets. Late October/Early November most cable cars and mountain railways in the area will be closed, so the Berner Oberland Pass is not going to be very useful. The Swiss Travel Pass is going to be a bit overkill.

Posted by
20103 posts

10/31 is the last day that the Berner Oberland Pass is valid. 6 locations in 4 days is pushing it. Zermatt is likely to be a get off the train, check the box that you have been to Zermatt, get back on the train and leave. Where are you arriving from and where are you going afterward?

Posted by
20 posts

The Swiss Travel Pass has a 4days option and if you plan to be so much on the go, I think it will save you some money. Plus it covers also local buses and lake cruises, not only the train tickets. Stop at an SBB office when you to Switzerland and ask for advice on what would works the best for you. Have fun and enjoy your Swiss adventure!

Posted by
2 posts

I’m flying in to Zurich from Singapore and next stop is Munich. Maybe I will cut down one or 2 places and give up Zarmatt as it is abit far.
If so, will Swiss half fare pass better for my group or Jungfrau Pass is better? Thinking Swiss Travel Pass is abit of waste as we don’t have a lot time.

Posted by
20103 posts

The Schilthornbahn, Wengneralpbahn, Eigergletcherbahn will all be running during your stay. The Interlaken Express between Luzern and Interlaken is not running due to a construction project, so you will have to travel via Bern. The lake boats from Interlaken to Giessbach are not operating, they stop after 20/10. If you really want to go, you will have to take a train to Brienz (that section is running) and then a bus to Giessbach.

If all you want to do is visit the sites you mentioned (minus Zermatt), the 4-day Swiss Travel Pass is probably your best option. The issue is if you want to go into the mountains, you only get a 25% discount on tickets above Grindelwald and Wengen. You get a 50% discount on the Schilthornbahn above Muerren. I don't think you have enough total full fare tickets to justify buying a Half Fare Card. In fact, Just buying tickets as you go will cost less than a 4-day STP. But it all depends on if you want to go up into the mountains.