Please sign in to post.

Swiss Travel Pass

I am attempting to purchase a 15-day Swiss Travel Pass through the Swiss Federal Railways website: www.sbb.ch. The website offers 2 adult 15-day passes for either:
858 CHF or $1021.90 US Dollars

There’s a statement
“ Includes 3% markup over wholesale rate”.

I don’t understand. If I choose to pay 858 CHF,
will they add 3%, or is the 3% markup applied only if you pay in US dollars?
(858 CHF times 3% = 1021.90)

Second question-
Has anyone ever had to apply for a refund from Swiss Federal Railways? How difficult is that process?

I can purchase the Swiss Travel Passes through a Rick Steves website for a little more money. It sounds like if you end up needing a refund that the Rick Steves website might be an easier process.

Could you please advise me regarding these concerns?

Thank you!

Posted by
20977 posts

I believe Rick Steves just does a pass-through to Rail Europe. Why are you concerned about a refund? You can just buy the passes when you get to Switzerland, if you are thinking you might have to cancel.

Always specify that you want to pay in Swiss Francs and let you credit card co. do the foreign exchange. When they tell you the price in USD, they are using Dynamic Currency Conversion and it is never in your favor.

Posted by
33513 posts

(858 CHF times 3% = 1021.90)

sorry, the math is wrong. 858 plus 3% is 883.74

1021.90 is 19.102564 percent

Posted by
33513 posts

If you don't buy it until you need it there will be no need for a refund. Just get it when you get there.

Posted by
20977 posts

sorry, the math is wrong. 858 plus 3% is 883.74
1021.90 is 19.102564 percent

But Nigel, that includes the conversion to USD.
858 CHF X 1.14 USD/CHF X 1.03 = 1007.46 USD So there is still a mark up in the currency conversion

Posted by
3 posts

I googled and it doesn't seem to have happened before about this surcharge. Think will just buy at airport and see if no surcharge then.

Posted by
10527 posts

When you insert your credit card, the reader asks if you want CHF or $. Always choose CHF. The window is small, it can be hard to read, and nerve-wracking the first few times. But you'll get used to choosing CHF.

Otherwise, choosing US$ you will always pay a hefty markup.

We bought these things when we arrived.