Please sign in to post.

Swiss Travel Pass

I am leading 6 persons on a 6 day trip to Switzerland. We wish to purchase 4 consecutive day passes; however it now appears that we must select our activation date in advance. Is this true or can we activate the pass the first day we wish to use it. Weather would be a consideration as to when we start using the pass. We will travel out of Lauterbrunnen but not sure we can purchase our passes at that train station.

Posted by
7838 posts

I would only buy the pass when you get to Switzerland at the airpor and not online. Or if you are traveling by train from another country you have to go through Zurich or Basel or Geneva anyway to get all the way to Lauterbrunnen. All of the major stations have offices that sell the pass.
I am in Switzerland now. I bought it at the airport and they put it in a nice plastic cover and the pass is card board and comes with the map. They can answer your question face to face.

Posted by
120 posts

I agree with the previous poster, it will take minutes to buy on arrival. I have found that if you buy in advance you have to state the period you want it for so it comes ready validated. |If you are traveling out of Lauterbrunnen you will need to get to Lauterbrunnen so buying on arrival you will be able to use it straight away.

Posted by
16893 posts

It is true (as of a couple of years ago) that all Swiss Travel Passes are pre-validated at the time of purchase. It should be no problem to buy when you're ready.