Please sign in to post.

Swiss Travel Pass?

Hello!

I'm traveling to Switzerland in a few days and am debating on getting a STP and which pass I should get and for how many days. If I get the STP for 3 days do i have to use them consecutively? One of the days in Lucerne will be spent walking around and exploring instead of on a train, etc. Here is my itinerary for my trip:

Sunday – Start in Geneva, head to Terrasses Viticoles de Lavaux (vineyards) in Cully
- Travel from Cully to Montreaux (Stay in Montreaux 2 nights)

Monday
- Chateau de Chillon – Medieval Castle – free entrance with STP
- Montreaux Lakeside – Walk along the lake – free
- La Maison Du Gruyere Gruyere Cheese (1 hour and 15 minutes from Montreaux) – free with STP
- Gruyeres Castle – free entrance with STP
- Maison Cailler Swiss Chocolate (36 minutes from La Maison Du Gruyere) – free with STP
2 hours to get back to Montreaux

Tuesday - Montreaux > Interlaken; Interlaken > Wengen (3 hours and 20 min)
Interlaken: St. Beatus Caves
Interlaken > Wengen (Check-in to hotel)
Wengen > Schilthorn (Around 2 hours travel time to get there) On way down can see Trummelbach Falls

Wednesday
- Top of Europe – Jungfraujoch
- Eiger Trail
- Lauterbrunnen

Thursday – Wengen > Lucerne
- Wander the Old Town
- Lake Lucerne
- Lion of Lucerne
- Walk across the chapel bridge (Kapellbrucke)

Friday - Lucerne > Pilatus
- Mt. Pilatus
- Toboggan ride in Frakmuntegg
- Hiking to Tomlishorn

Saturday – Lucerne > Zurich
- Leave – purchased train tickets for this day

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Posted by
20146 posts

You can get a flex pass for nonconsecutive days, but the free museum visits must be used on pass days. Looks like you will be traveling every day, so you could also do a 6-day consecutive pass.

If you are looking at the lowest cost option, the 1-month Half Fare Card, costing 120 CHF, almost always results in the best price, even though you do need to purchase each ticket individually, easier these days with the Swiss app loaded on your phone. No free museum visits, but these are not big ticket items.

One thing to consider is that going to the Jungfraujoch, you only get a 25% discount with the STP above Wengen, but you get a 50% discount with the Half Fare Card. Also, since you have slotted this excursion on a particular day, will you go if the weather is bad? Hardly worth the big expense if all you can see is fog.

Posted by
2 posts

Hi Sam!

Wow! Thank you for all of the information! When buying tickets individually with the 1-month Half Fare Card, do they come at a discount? What does the 120 CHF cover? Also, what Swiss app should I download for this?

For Jungfraujoch - I did plan to check the weather for the day of and if it's bad, we'll do Interlaken or explore Wengen that day! It'd also be cool to wake up early and do a leg of the Glacier Express! Any recommendations?

Thank you!

Posted by
20146 posts

The Half Fare Card covers basically everything, including city buses. When you buy a ticket, you pay the half fare price. When the ticket inspector comes by, you show him/her the ticket, indicating you paid the half fare price and your Half Fare Card. I doubt it covers the Frakmuntegg luge, but it covers getting there and back.

https://www.sbb.ch/en/leisure-holidays/inspiration/international-guests/swiss-halffare-card.html

If you more than 240 CHF of full fare tickets, the Half Fare Card saves you money. Download the validity map shown above.

Now some towns you visit will have guest cards which are good on local public transportation.

For the app:
https://www.sbb.ch/en/travelcards-and-tickets/swisspass/swisspass-mobile.html