Please sign in to post.

Swiss travel pass

I plan on buying 4, 8 day Swiss Travel Passes. There is currently a promotion which I want to use. We arrive May 6. I know the pass is available online, but I want to know if the promotion tickets are available at the airport train station or is the promotion only available online?

Posted by
7850 posts

That is a good question.
I imagine if you book mark and show this promotion advertised on their official website at the airport SBB office they would have to honor it:
https://www.sbb.ch/de/freizeit-ferien/inspiration/internationale-gaeste/swiss-travel-pass.html
There is nothing on the site that says only online.

I'd buy it online on your phone once you know your flight is not canceled at the boarding gate the day before you arrive.

My past practice has been to buy it on arrival in order to get the paper version of the area of validity map.

Posted by
20099 posts

You might ask SBB directly by using the website contact page. They will get back to you next business day.

Posted by
2675 posts

With past promotions, it was only available on-line and it was not available directly from SBB.com. But it looks like with the current promotion, it is available from SBB. So, perhaps the promotion is also available in person. As sam mentioned, the only way to know for sure is to contact SBB.

Posted by
485 posts

In the link given by Jazz above, go to “FAQ”, then “where can I buy a Swiss Travel Pass or a Swiss Family Card?”

All Swiss Travel System tickets are available as e-tickets.
You can order your tickets yourself online or buy them at various sales outlets in your home country, provided you show a valid identity document.
Swiss Travel System tickets can also be purchased at every major railway station in Switzerland (e.g. at Zurich or Geneva airports) as well as at the tourist offices in Zurich, Berne, Geneva and Lucerne.

Posted by
31 posts

Thanks for everyone’s input. I’m aware of where and how to purchase the pass, but my question was whether the train station would honor the extra two day promotion. I would prefer to purchase the passes at the station so each of us could download them to their own phones. The site is rather difficult. This question hasn’t been addressed on their forum. I emailed them through their chat and hopefully I will get an answer. Thanks again. I always appreciate everyone’s thoughts

Posted by
2675 posts

If you purchase at the train station they will give you paper copies. If you want the QR code for your phones you get that by ordering the pass online. They will email you a link to add the pass to your phone wallet and also a QR code to print out. Maybe I’m confused as to what you’re wanting.

Posted by
42 posts

I just bought our STP 8+2 day passes online using the promotion. I printed them out, and it clearly shows the start and end dates for 10 days. It also gave the option of loading into My Wallet on my phone, which I did for all travelers, again clearly stating Swiss Travel Pass Promo 8 + 2 days with the start date above the QR code. Very convenient to have both a printed copy and the digital ticket in my phone. Hope that helps!

Posted by
31 posts

Thanks. Very helpful. So each of us would be able to load our own tickets to our wallets? I won’t be traveling with two of my adult children all the time. Obviously I can give them a paper copy, but it is convenient to have them on your phone.

Posted by
4710 posts

I liked having an electronic copy, because it's a lot harder to lose that.😉

Posted by
42 posts

The email with the tickets will be sent to you if you ordered them. But anyone can load their own into their phone wallet if you share the link you are given for their ticket. So my husbands is in both my phone wallet ( I ordered them) and his too. Easy.

Posted by
31 posts

Just to let everyone know, I received an email back from SBB. They said I can purchase the half-fare card at the train station. I assume they mean the promotion as that was my question. Good to know

Posted by
2675 posts

The half fare card is not part of the promotion. The promotion is only the extra days for the Swiss Travel Pass. It sounds like SBB misunderstood your question. As stated above, all of the passes and cards can be purchased at the train station. But, if you want an electronic copy for your phone, you need to purchase online or via the SBB app.