Please sign in to post.

Swiss Travel Pass

I will be traveling to Switzerland in September for 10 days. My plan is to spend time in several cities, so I believe getting the Swiss Travel Pass will make the most sense; however, the options for the pass is either 8 or 15 days. Should I purchase a pass for 8 days, then pay out of pocket for travel the other two days? What's the most budget friendly option?

Posted by
4217 posts

You might compare with purchasing a half fare pass, which would cover your entire trip. There are also some regional passes that can come into play. If you share your itinerary, someone might be able to advise.

Posted by
4616 posts

It's been noted here that some of the Swiss Passes go on sale April 15, so keep that in mind also.

Posted by
11247 posts

What, exactly, is your itinerary? As mentioned by valadelphia, where you are going greatly impacts what pass works due to regional differences. Also, do you want to go up mountain lifts? Will you be walking in the mountains?

Posted by
5 posts

Day 1: Arrive in Zurich, then train to Lucerne. Stay in Lucerne.
Day 2: Travel to Ennetburgen and stay for 2 nights. This is very close to Lucerne. These two nights were added strictly because me and my fiance are eloping at a beautiful hotel located right on the lake.
Day 4: Travel to Zermatt. Stay 2 nights
Day 6: Travel to Lausanne. Stay 1 night
Day 7: Travel to Murren. Stay 3 nights
Day 10: Travel back to Zurich

Posted by
4217 posts

Day 1: Arrive in Zurich, then train to Lucerne. Stay in Lucerne.
Day 2: Travel to Ennetburgen and stay for 2 nights. This is very close to Lucerne. These two nights were added strictly because me and my fiance are eloping at a beautiful hotel located right on the lake.
Day 4: Travel to Zermatt. Stay 2 nights
Day 6: Travel to Lausanne. Stay 1 night
Day 7: Travel to Murren. Stay 3 nights
Day 10: Travel back to Zurich

Would you be willing to drop Lausanne? I'm concerned you will not have enough time in Murren if you are planning on Jungfrau--that is a full day. Schilthorn is much quicker, not a full day, so you do get part of that day. If you are not planning on hiking, maybe it does not matter.

Posted by
5 posts

Yes I have thought about taking off Lausanne; however, I guess we could take the full day before departing (after checking out of our hotel in Murren) and heading back to Zurich to do Jungfrau. We could start that day pretty early, assuming there is somewhere to store our bags. We are planning to take a 22" rolling carryon and backpack .

Posted by
4217 posts

Yes that makes sense.
Good luck--I'll leave the train calculations to others, but I got good advice here.

Posted by
19654 posts

I would alter this plan slightly. Instead of going to Luzern when you land, go directly to Zermatt, it is only a couple more hours and its a travel day anyway. Then go to Lake Geneva, but consider Montreux instead. Play "Smoke on the Water" on your headset, and check the Freddy Mercury statue on the lake front. Then take the Golden Pass railway to Interlaken and on to Muerren. Then train and lake boat to Ennetbuergen for your hotel stay. Buergenstock or Villa Honegg? Then over night in Luzern and a morning train direct to Zurich airport for the flight home.

If you are flying home on Day 11, this plan will save a whole day. Maybe add a day in Zermatt for better chance to see the Matterhorn if the weather is iffy.

Might as well suck it up and get the 15-day pass. It is only 40 CHF more than the 8-day pass, and you will need it on days when you ride lifts to get the 50% discount, or 25% in the case of the Jungfraujoch.

Posted by
5 posts

Thanks for the your suggestions Sam. We are planning our stay at Villa Honegg. Would you suggest adding 1 more night to Murren? Also, with this itinerary, would you suggest the Swiss Travel Pass?

Posted by
19654 posts

See my edit to the previous post I as writing after your last post.

Posted by
12 posts

I'd just do the 8-day and not use it until your third day. The short rides to/from lucerne aren't worth burning up two days of your pass. I'd just pay for them separately and save your activated days for later to get discounts on the lifts, access to museums, etc.

Posted by
4616 posts

Because of weather issues, the more days in Murren, the better chances of having great, clear weather at the summits.safe travels!

Posted by
19654 posts

I think that is a clincher. If you do as I suggested and go from Luzern to Zurich airport on day 11, ticket is 30 CHF pp. Saves you 10 CHF pp over buying a 15-day STP.