Please sign in to post.

Swiss Travel Pass

We are booked on the Swiss 12 day tour in June. I am wondering if it would benefit us to also buy a Swiss Travel Pass or any other type pass for the days that we are sight seeing on our own, during and briefly after the tour? I read about the different passes and fees etc.. and find it a bit confusing and over whelming. Also, do passes such as these need to be purchased in advanced, or can we get them when we arrive in Zurich?
Thanks, Tana

Posted by
8889 posts

tana_dave, it all depends on what travelling you are doing. If it is a few local journeys, no. If you are criss-crossing Switzerland, yes, a pass pays off. And you also have to cost in any trips up mountains. These are the most expensive, and in most cases a pass does not cover them but gets you a discount.

Sorry if that is vague, but from your post I have no idea of where and for how long this stay is, or what day trips you plan.

No the passes do not have to be bought in advance. You can buy in advance on the SBB website ( https://www.sbb.ch/en/leisure-holidays/travel-in-switzerland/international-guests.html ), this gets you a print-at-home ticket; or you can buy them at any Swiss border or airport station (that includes Zürich airport station). Both are at the same fixed price, which won't change until at least December.

Posted by
20179 posts

Buying any type of pass is likely to cost you lot of unnecessary money. You really only have one free day in the Berner Oberland, and there is an optional breakfast tour up the Schilthornbahn, which a I guess should be at a group rate. No more than 95 CHF if you ride down instead of hiking. So that leaves 30 CHF for the train from the airport to Luzern and 51 EUR for the train from Bern to Zurich airport. That is only 176 CHF. The Half Fare Card only makes sense if you have more than 240 CHF of tickets. The 3-day flex pass is 259 CHF.

Bottom line, unless you will be spending a lot more time in Switzerland, a pass costs you money, not save it.

But you can buy them when you arrive. No need to buy ahead of time.