Please sign in to post.

Swiss Train Travel

We’re starting to plan for a 2-week vacation in Switzerland (2 couples). Although we usually travel in Europe by rental car, this time we’re thinking that a 15-day Swiss Travel Pass is the way to go. Possibly Zurich-Luzern-Murren-Zermatt-Pontresina-Zurich…
Am I correct in thinking that we don’t need train reservations for any travel except the Glacier Express (Zermatt to St Moritz) and the Bernina Express (Pontresina to Poschiavo, return)?
Also, if we’re headed from Zermatt to Pontresina is it better to transfer trains (or get on a bus) at Samedan or at St Moritz?

Posted by
20135 posts

Just the Glacier Express. For Pontresina to Poschiavo and back, use local trains, which are much more frequent, don't require expensive seat reservations, are less crowded, and have windows that open for better pictures.

Posted by
4746 posts

Ditto what Sam said about the regional trains - they are very comfortable and well-maintained, and have more scheduling options.
Hopefully you'll get lucky and there will be another sale on the Swiss Travel Pass again next year.

Perhaps my 2021 Swiss Trip report will offer some useful info. Thankfully, ignore the COVID references.

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/trip-reports/lucerne-62eb4d28-60ab-4837-b4b4-91a2486eb732

Safe travels!

Posted by
8455 posts

Transfer trains at Samedan. Some trains will go on through Samedan to Pontresina. SBB.ch/en will give you the right routing anyway.

Posted by
162 posts

All, thanks for the helpful information!

Posted by
4412 posts

Check in with the Man in Seat 61, he has all the answers you seek.

Posted by
162 posts

@phred, thanks for mentioning that. I didn’t know about it, googled it, and found a great resource (seat61.com) for train travel info.

Hi everyone!!
We are planning to go for my big birthday in February to Switzerland. I love the snow and want to be by the alps .What is the best scenic train ride .And which town is the best to walk around in.I saw the Bernini express the glacier express.. Anyone can help me !!
Thank you!
Robin

Posted by
162 posts

@robinbethdesign, you will probably get more responses to your questions if you start a new post, rather than replying to mine.