Please sign in to post.

Swiss Scenic Rail Journeys

I am doing the Rick Steves "Switzerland by Train" and when on-line, can't figure out which trains have the panoramic cars. When I input the departure city and the arrival city, there are many different train options. I want the train with the panoramic cars. How do I determine if I am choosing the correct train? For the Golden Pass, I want front row, VIP seats. Of all the train options listed, which one has the Panoramic Car?

Also for the William Tell Express, how do you book the entire trip, boat and train? Do you have to book the boat separate?

For the Bernina Express, again how do you book the bus and the train? Do you book the bus separate from the train?

I would prefer to do this on-line prior to my arrival in Switzerland, as I will be in Italy for a month and then Austria and Germany for another month before finally spending our third month in Switzerland. I am planning on getting the Swiss Travel Pass, but still need the reservations on certain trains.
Thank you to anyone that can help me understand the booking process for the Scenic Trains.

Posted by
32781 posts

Donna, do you understand that you, if you are from the US or Canada - your profile is silent about your country - you are not allowed to remain in the Schengen area of Europe for 3 months?

Posted by
5 posts

My research says "Americans, Canadians, Australians, New Zealanders, etc. can only stay in the Schengen Area (without a special visa) for a period of 90 days within a 180 day period."

Posted by
16296 posts

The point is that 90 days are not the same as three months, if you mean calendar months. The three months of summer, for example, add up to 92 days. You need to be very careful not to exceed 90.

What website are you using for the Swiss trains? Several of the named scenic routes have their own websites where you can make reservations for specific seats in specific cars.

Posted by
16893 posts

When you're using the DB train schedule search, you have to view the detailed version of the schedule to see which departures specify "Observation coach." In addition, both this and the Swiss SBB site will normally send you via the fastest route. To be sure that you're seeing the route you want, it helps to add a "Stopover" point to the search request that's unique to that route, such as Zweisimmen on the Golden Pass or Disentis on the Glacier Express.

To actually book the nose-cone seat between Montreaux and Zweisimmen, go to the Golden Pass site.

The William Tell has been renamed Gotthard Panorama Express, no longer includes a meal in 1st class, and also offers panorama car reservations in 2nd class. Their actual reservation link may not be open yet, since it seems to send you in circles. No need to book the boat.

The Bernina Express bus reservation is an extra fee, whether or not it's processed in one transaction.

Posted by
32212 posts

Regarding the Bernina Express, it would help to have some idea when this trip will be taking place? Also which end of that route are you starting from (Lugano?)?

The Bus operates from 14 April to 29 October, so if you're outside those dates the Bus won't be an option. Also, there are frequent trains on the Bernina route, but I believe the Panoramic cars only operate once per day in each direction. Departure from Tirano is at about 14:00 each day, arriving in Chur at about 18:30.

When using the Bahn.de schedule, look for the trains designated as "D" (ie: D 950). Those are the panoramic versions. You should be able to buy reservations for all the trains on the SBB.ch website.

One additional note to add to the others about the Schengen Visa limits. The 90 day allotment includes your arrival and departure days and if you're caught overstaying the limit, there can be severe penalties.