Please sign in to post.

Swiss Pass

Hi all, my daughter and I are staying 5 nights in Bern and we'd like to do some day trips to Gruyeres and not sure where else. But we will need to get to Zurich for our flight. Can the Swiss Pass get me anywhere I need to go from Bern? I'm so confused with the trains.

Posted by
20103 posts

Yes, the Swiss Travel Pass will get you anywhere there are full time residents, and normally a 50% tickets on mountain lifts.
Trains are the way to get around in Switzerland, and if trains don't go there, the Postbus does. There is a train station right in Zurich Airport with direct trains to/from Bern. Be sure to do a trip to the Berner Oberland to experience the high Alps.

Posted by
5 posts

I can buy the Swiss Pass ahead of time, but do I have to book the actual trains ahead of time? or just show up?

Posted by
1667 posts

The Swiss pass allows you unlimited travel, and is thus indeed just "show up and travel". No need to book anything. However for what you intend to do the pass may be overkill. But it is up to you to compare just buying tickets on the go with buying a pass.