Please sign in to post.

Swiss Pass

Does the Swiss pass cover most of the Berner Oberland transportation or do we need another pass for that area? Thanks.

Posted by
20103 posts

The Swiss Travel Pass only covers travel to inhabited villages like Wengen, Grindelwald, and Muerren. It only gives discounts on lifts and trains that go above these towns into the mountains. Between Wengen and Grindelwald it is only 25%. But if you have the Swiss Travel Pass, it would be overkill to get the Berner Oberland Pass on top of that, Standard advice that covers 90% of these is to get the Half Fare Card and the Berner Oberland Pass and skip the Swiss Travel Pass.

BTW Swiss Pass is a separate product that is not really a pass but a photo ID card with your account you can load passes on. Mainly for Swiss residents or people in nearby countries that travel extensively in Switzerland.

Posted by
5 posts

We will be in Switzerland for 15 days with 5 days in the Murren. Does that change your suggestion? We plan to start in Zurich, then to Murren for 5 days, 3 days in Zermatt, then do the Glacier Express and then up to Appenzell and back to Zurich.

Posted by
20103 posts

The Berner Oberland Pass gives a 50% discount on the Schilthornbahn above Muerren, same as the Swiss Travel Pass. So you might as well stick with that. Trains on the Wengen side give a 25% discount, including the Jungfraujochbahn. That one is expensive. Skip it and spend minimal time on the Wengen side and you will be fine.

Posted by
108 posts

I’ll relay our experience last fall. We traveled 16 days in Switzerland. We bought the half fare card with the intention of buying the BO pass based on several posts on this forum. We spent 7 days in the BO region staying in Wengen. Once I started looking at the costs of the travel in BO region - it was quickly apparent that we not spend any where close to the cost of the BO pass using the half fare card. I also kept track of what we spent on travel/museums that the Swiss pass would cover. Paying the half fare for us was less expensive than the Swiss pass but not nearly as convenient.. We did ALOT of travel including the Glacier and Bernier express trains and Jungfraujoch. I agree I would skip Jungfraujoch given the time you are in Murren. Beautiful views on a gorgeous day but also crowded and touristy.

Posted by
808 posts

For our trip, I put together a spreadsheet of the costs of train trips and mountain excursions that we planned to take. Then I compared the Swiss Travel Pass to the Half Fare Card with the BO Pass. It took a bit of time, but for me it was the best way to determine which pass best fit our needs. I also found this website helpful in doing some research: https://holidaystoswitzerland.com/swissrailpasses/