Please sign in to post.

swiss pass

I shall be travelling to Interlaken from zurich on 4th june 2015 taking a morning train with my wife and two sons aged 13 yrs and 7 yrs and plan to stay there for 5 nites as my base station . We plan to take day trips to gstaad, jungfrauh, lucerne each day by train. We shall return back to zurich to catch our flight to India on the 9th afternoon. Can you suggest us if we need to take a swiss pass or should we buy point to point tickets. which shall be cheaper. Also what places we could visit apart from what I have planned. Bern, Montreaux, zermatt, chateau de oxe . We would want to experience the true essence of switzerland and not the popular tourist spots as we have already been to all those earlier. This time we want a leisure holiday.. no hikings for us. your suggestion shall be of great help.

Posted by
50 posts

I would say yes to the pass, and add that we've found the Schilthorn a much more enjoyable experience (with better views) than the longer and more expensive Jungfrau trip. Bern is an easy day trip from Interlaken (and with your passes, you could do one way by boat, and stop in Thun); the bear park is fun for kids and adults--and the restaurant/brew pub there is surprisingly good. Montreux is beautiful and sunny--do that on the day you go to Gstaad. Another option is Schynige Platte, which is close to Interlaken and should be opened by then. Have fun.

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks. Do I need to buy passes for my kids or shall they travel free? Also what pass shall be best suited for us. We shall be travelling 6 days probably. Also I am told murren, wigen, gimmelvald, lauterburren are great places to make your base and not interlaken.

Posted by
50 posts

The pass question one is always a tricky one, and they've changed the rules on them a bit this year, so I'm not sure (and I don't have kids, so can't help with that, either). Read the page on Swiss pass options here carefully. We've been to the area the last five years (this summer will make six) and have landed on Lauterbrunnen as the best home base.

Posted by
7209 posts

If you plan to do the Jungfrau trip then buy at least a Half Fare Card. You'll get a 50% discount on the very expensive Jungfrau trip which will justify the price of the HFC purchase. With HFC all of your other trips will be 50% discounted, too. If you purchase a Swiss Pass or HFC then you can also get a Free Swiss Family Card and then there is no need to purchase ANYTHING (tickets or passes) for your boys. They will travel free with you all over Switzerland wherever you go...even to the expensive Jungfrau.

If you do NOT purchase a pass and you purchase point-to-point tickets instead, then you can purchase a Junior Card (30 Swiss Francs) for your 13 year old and your 7 year old. Then they will travel everywhere with you for free just like with the Swiss Family Card mentioned above.

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks Tim. Would I get a 50% discount on the entire route for Jungfrauh in the Swiss Pass Too? I intended to buy a Swiss Pass so I could just hop on and off but it seems expensive for 8 days and I shall be travelling only 6 days though. Also should I do MT. PILATUS or can I skip this as I would be doing Jungfrauh. Also is there a particular rail scenic drive that you would want us to take from interlaken and back same day. We would love to do that.

Posted by
50 posts

Tim's guidance sounds right on. If they still offer a Swiss flexipass (for travel on non-consecutive days), that might be better for your needs. [They've changed several of their passes for this year, and I've not had to figure them out yet, so I'm not sure if this is still a good option.] And I think you would get the 50% on the Jungfrau trip, as well as on any travel on in-between/non 'pass' days. Check the details, though.

Posted by
7209 posts

No, Swiss Pass only offers a 25% discount from Wengen -> Jungfrau.

Posted by
16893 posts

The coverage discount from Wengen to Jungfraujoch is 50% with a Half Fare Card or 25% with a Swiss Travel Pass. See http://www.jungfrau.ch/en/tourism/travel-information/tickets-rates/interlaken-ost/fares-for-individual-travellers/ and click on the small link for "Discounts." (It's also possible to carry both, but I'm not recommending that.)

If you choose the Swiss Travel Pass, I would go with the version for 8 consecutive days ($387 per adult), not the flexi (e.g., 4 days in a month for $305), given your plan to be on trains and other local transport almost every day.