Please sign in to post.

Swiss Itinerary Help

Hello RS members,
I will be travelling to Switzerland for 3 weeks and need some help planning some part of the trip. Here is what I have already scheduled and booked.
Lucerne 3 nights
Lucerne to Lugano via Gotthard Panorama Express
Lugano 3 nights
Lugano to Chur via Bernina Express
Chur 1 night
Chur to Zermatt via Glacier Express

After Zermatt I am not sure......???
I was thinking Lausanne 3 nights (with side trips to Montreux, maybe Geneva?)
Montreux to Interlaken via Goldenpass
Interlaken 4 nights?
Interlaken to Appenzel
Appenzel 1 night
Zurich 2 nights....and fly out

Can you all please help me with trip after Zermatt?
Thanks

Posted by
3551 posts

2 nights in Lugano is about right, 2 nights Lausanne is good, skip interlaken and consider Lauterbrunnen for min. 2- 3 nights seeing the incredible valley to include Murren, Wengen, Jungfrau for quick trips while basing in Lauterbrunnen valley. Appenzell (traditonal Switzerland) lovely and quaint for 1 or 2 nights. Try looking at RS guidebook for Switzerland it will help u a lot to narrow down the best of sights. U will be surprised how easy a plan is with a very helpful guidebOok. I have used Ricks guidebooks for independent travel for years. Takes the guesswork work out, for sure.

Posted by
7836 posts

. You definitely need a guidebook or 3 weeks is too long if you are having trouble finding where you want to go and stay

Posted by
18 posts

Thanks for the reply!
I am a big follower of RS guide book and audio guides. I have used the RS guide book and come up with a rough plan. My biggest confusion is that I don't know how to distribute my time. 3 nights in Lausanne? is that too much?
4 nights in Lauterbrunnen? or 3?
Skipping Bern.

Posted by
768 posts

2 nights Lausanne, and add that saved night to Lauterbrunnen. Enough to do around Laut. for 2 weeks. Click on my name to find a link to our fav. hikes in the area.

Posted by
11315 posts

We liked the Lausanne area. We stayed in the city and traveled up into the mountains for light hiking, walked through the vineyards, visited Montreux, and took a boat across the lake for lunch. We spent a week! Give it three nights, at least, so you get out of the city a bit. In fact, stay in Vevey, a charming little lakeside town. Geneva not as interesting (at least to me) as the countryside/vineyards/mountains.

Zurich, 1 night before the flight is fine. Your other stops will be more interesting than the city.

Did I miss it? When are you traveling?

Posted by
8889 posts

eparul, your route is giving me a headache.
Here is a rail map of Switzerland: https://www.sbb.ch/content/dam/sbb/de/infotexte/uebersichtskarte-sts.pdf
Print this out and mark your route on it. You are doubling back and crossing over yourself unnecessarily.
Admittedly your attempt to do the Gotthard Panorama route (north-south), Bernina route (N-S but further east), AND the Glacier Express route (east-west) means you must cross at least once.
I would reconsider the order to reduce travelling.

"Lugano to Chur via Bernina Express" - The Bernina Express does not go via Lugano. It runs Tirano - Chur. There is a once daily bus that runs Lugano - Tirano to connect.

"Interlaken 4 nights?" - do not stay in Interlaken. Stay in one of the places further into the mountains in the Jungfrau region: Wengen. Mürren, Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald. If you stay in Interlaken you will be commuting every day to these places (20 minutes).
Tourist info + hotels for Jungfrau region: https://jungfrauregion.swiss/en/summer/
I would add a 5th night here, probably taken from Lausanne.

Zürich 2 nights is excessive. Reduce to 1 or even zero (if you can get to the airport on departure day from wherever).
Geneva is worth a day trip at most.
Appenzell 1 night, make that at least 2
Add: Day trip to Bern, better than Zürich

The Golden Pass route is actually Montreux - Interlaken - Luzern. You are doing yourself out of one half. But as your first part is already booked, sorry.
I would have done: Fly in to Zürich airport - Luzern - Jungfrau region (via Interlaken, + day trip Bern) - Montreux (and western CH) - Zermatt - Glacier Express to Chur - Bernina Express to Tirano, stay in Varenna (on Lake Como, on rail line from Tirano) - ferry + bus to Lugano - Gotthard route, but at end head straight to Appenzell - Zürich airport

Posted by
18 posts

Shoe, Laurel, and Chris
Thank you very much for the input......I should have asked first before making reservations :=(
my travel is May 2020

So here is what I am leaning towards
Zermatt ----- made 3 night reservation
Zermatt to Lausanne stay 3 nights in Lausanne
Lausanne to Lauterbrunnen via Montreux on Goldenpass and stay in Lauterbrunnen for 4 nights with a day trip to Birn
Lauterbrunnen to Appenzel 2 nights
Zurich 1 night

I am still going to look at the route to see what Chris is talking about so that I can reduce back tracking. I really appreciate the input you have provided.
One more question, looking at my schedule, do you think 8 day STP Flex would be good?
Thanks